one micron stainless steel beer filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not use finings to clear my beer, but it can take up to a month of impatiently waiting. Beers are great, but I'd like to speed up the process.

Today I got an email from brewuk about a new re-usable beer filter;
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/clarifier-...il&utm_term=0_65c26b21ce-22b2faf799-297104113

How do you clean and sanitise a 1 micron mesh?

Anyone got one? or considering purchase? any possible problems?

If you leave most beers in the FV for 16 days or more they will be clear or nearly clear when you package but with enough yeast to carb up, it just takes a little longer.
Nearly clear beer means far less yeast in bottles or PBs so you don't get clouding problems when you get to drink the stuff.
You don't need finings, and in my view there is no need to filter homebrewed beer, gravity and time will give you clear beer.
And in any case what the rush? Many beers only come good after two months after packaging, some longer, at least that's my experience.

Surely these filters will only take out hop particles and not yeast. ...
According to Wikipedia
"Yeast sizes vary greatly, depending on species and environment, typically measuring 3–4µm in diameter, although some yeasts can grow to 40 µm in size."
You learn something every day, including me in my advancing years.
So I guess a 1µm filter should remove most if not all yeast cells. How it's cleaned, and how quickly it would block, is another issue :hmm:

My 2um stainless steel stone is boiled to clean it. These things are constructed of stainless steel and silicon, so should be boilable. Back flushing will get (most) junk out prior to boiling. Perhaps PBW/VWP will help (prior to back flushing).

These "Clarifiers" don't seem to attract many good reviews though.

To be honest I'd look to isinglass like many breweries do. It clears in 2-3 days and will remain active when casks get disturbed.

A little off subject from the original post but I've just bottled a beer which was dry hopped for four days. I racked to a bottling bucket using an auto siphon with a nylon bag tied round the end of the outlet. The bag filled up with hope debris and the flow stopped with about 5 litres to go ( to be fair about 2 of those were trub)

Has anyone got any ideas for how to successfully rack and filter such debris?

to push beer thru 1 micron you will need a hell of a lot of pressure, when attempting similar with 5 micron nylon single sue filter it blocked after about 5l and @ 70psi behind it it sprung leaks which atomised the beer so it could soak into wall paper and soft furnishing leaving a lovely stale beer whiff prevailing after a week.

So perhaps Dont do it in the newly decorated spare room, opt for the back garden garage or shed just in case..

I think that if you just throw loose hops in then a good amount just sit on the top, a weighted loose bag of hops means that at least they infuse.

I got mine mainly as my fermenter is the SS Brewtech fermenter with a tap so I didn't need to use a bag for dry hopping. To be honest after leaving the hops in for just over a week they'd all dropped into the bottom cone bit a the bottom of the fermenter and so I ended up with hardly anything actually in the filter. :thumb:

The one time I put the bag on the inlet it stopped flowing after about five litres. I had to keep pumping it, the hose was flying around everywhere and the batch got dumped a few weeks later due to oxygenation.

I think I'll try putting the hops in a bag and see how it goes, they do tend to float on top even after a stir.

Latest posts

Back