Mash Tun Losses

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

private4587

Reaction score
My plastic cooler mash tun has a false floor fitted and below this a flexible hose filter is fitted. the space below the false floor takes approx 4lt. when i run this off I am left with approx,0.5lt of liquid. My question is that in using beersmith under my equipment profile I have entered Mash Tun Addititon =4lt, Lauter Tun Losses =0.5lt and I have ticked the box for Adjust Mash Vol for Losses. This is the setup for my various Vol brews. The trouble is with each I am ending up with approx 2-3lt extra in my fermenter even though i am doing the correct boil times. Could anyone help with this. All my readings are hitting the correct figures.

Are you sure its you Mash tun ? is your pre boil volume right ?

Measure the water you put in and measure your running's from the mash tun, its the only way to check. You might find its your boil off that is wrong.

That being said I have lowered my grain absorption rate in BS as I mash in a bag and get a lot more wort than the standard figure, you can calc this by doing the above :)

Latest posts

Back