Is hop availability seasonal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EG_Wanna_Be

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have recently fallen in love with really hoppy IPAs, and have just had availability in two FVs for something new.

I would like to look at Extract brewing, but if I were, I'd be aiming for a really hoppy IPA. I have found a few recipes for similar tastes, and I am finding that a lot of them use similar hops (which I am assuming are American, and one from NZ).

I am just wondering, is this stuff seasonal, as all the sites that seem to list the right hops are out of stock with no ETAs.

Some of the guys I am querying are:

- Chinook
- Centenniel
- Ahtanum
- Challenger
- Nelson Sauvin

If they are seasonal... when do we likely get to see them come back over here?

Or am I just stressing and there just seems to be a coincidence where noone has the stuff?

Cheers in advance!

Evan

well yes and no... atm the way the hops shortages seems to be working out-homebrewers are getting the very surplus after the big brewery contracts get their share- they are seasonal as nobody is letting any of thoses particular hops sell till they see what this years harvest is like-then if its good and theres surplus we should start getting some in again- some of last years hops are probably still tucked safely away in a big freezer somewhere...

wish they would sort it out considering they can easy last 2 yrs in my freezer

shouldnt have to wait long though- found this guy selling hops in the ebay of this years-bit pricy though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fresh-Hops-20 ... 809&_uhb=1

in the mean time get substituting or get to grips with the rather unknown hops that are available-might discover a treasure or two

Also check your LHBS. went to mine the other day and many of the ones that are sold out online are available in his shop.

Even if you get one variety, it might be enough to make up a smash with lots of dry hops and big ibus. They are pretty out of stock at the mo but still available at places like malt miller, worcs hop shop or simply hops :)

Latest posts

Back