Complete beginner needs yeast advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trollman

Reaction score
Hello folks,
Pretty new to both brewing and forums, so apologies if I'm doing this wrong!

I have bought a starter kit (fermentation bin, pressure barrel, hydrometer and siphon tube) with a brew kit (two big tins of concentrated wort).

I followed the instructions that came with the kit this morning which said to simply sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort (after adding water).

I have since read that the yeast should be stirred in to the wort, which I did not do.

Is it necessary to stir in the yeast? If so, should I do so now (about six hours after I added the yeast) or is it too late?

Would be grateful for any advice please!

Trollman

Brilliant! Thanks all for your help.

Had a peak today and there is a reassuring head of foam, suggesting that it's all happening. New thermometer is showing a steady 19-20 degrees too, which I think is okay.

The lid on the bin is currently on fairly firmly, with just a small area uncracked. Is that right? Should I avoid taking the lid off to look at it?

Trollman

trollman said:
Brilliant! Thanks all for your help.

Had a peak today and there is a reassuring head of foam, suggesting that it's all happening. New thermometer is showing a steady 19-20 degrees too, which I think is okay.

The lid on the bin is currently on fairly firmly, with just a small area uncracked. Is that right? Should I avoid taking the lid off to look at it?

Trollman
you got it just right , lid slightly cracked and leave well alone :thumb:

Hello folks,

All seems to be progressing okay.

After about a week, I drew off the beer into a pressure barrel with the suggested amount of sugar. It's been in the same place at about 20-24 degrees for the last three days. I think I should now be putting it outside in the cold to clear.

However, it's nearly at freezing point outside now which I think is too cold.

I have a little outbuilding which is at about 5 degrees C at night nd probably goes up to +12ish during the day. Would it be okay in there?

I also have a shed. I suspect it gets colder in there at night than 5 degrees though.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should put it next?

I tested the SG when I siphoned it out of the primary fermentation vessel, and tasted the sample. Seemed pretty good so far!

Also... I used still mineral water at the start of the process. That's not something I'll regret is it?

Finally, if I wanted to bottle some beer now, could I tap some out of the pressure barrell and into bottles? or is it too late?

Thanks again for your advice.

Trollman

hi , best to leave it in the keg , too late to transfer to bottles (do at priming stage only really) and i would also leave it in warmth for around 7 to 10 days . I would then put it in the out building for a week (but i would of had a cheeky taste by now too ) if temp at night drops below freezing in outhouse pop some blankets round em (that will help a little if needed) shed may be too cold soon (unless insulated etc )

Latest posts

Back