Stepping Up A Yeast Starter Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostyp

Reaction score
Made now approximately ten brews now, i am only doing extract brewing at the present but trying to improve things the best that i can, my last brew a Bulldog London Porter i made a yeast starter 900ml from a yeast slant, it obviously went ok as its fermenting furiously in my bucket and was doing so within seven hours i even had to make a blow off tube for the first time.
I am after clarifying the procedure, i made a 900ml starter spun on my stir plate for twenty four hours then chilled , decanted and readded a new dme mix back up to 900ml.
Reading other posts i should have made a smaller starter to start off with and then built up to the final amount, is that correct?
It thats the case, how much is best to start of with it?
How much do i increase each time , ie do i double up each time or less or more?
How long should i spin each for?
Do i need to chill and decant wort off each time and add the increased volume of wort?
Thanks all.

I believe the general wisdom is to not increase the volume by more than ten times with each step.

I've cultured yeast from a bottle of Chimay and it can take a while to get the volume up sufficiently high to brew a batch of beer.

I hope this helps.

- Scott

all your questions are answered in Chris White and Jamil Zainashelf's book Yeast, I'd recommend you get a copy

Back