How long does yeast last?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lastorders

Reaction score
I bought couple of kits about 18 months ago - a Great Eastern and a Milestones Black Pearl- when I was back in the UK.

A couple of house moves later and I am at last settled enough to do a brew. I was thinking of doing the Milestones but I realize that the yeast is probably no good now. The date on the foil sachet is 13/08/11 (Munton's Gervin English Ale).

Any idea if it can still be used? Any other type of yeast I could use in its place (like, buy some from a baker?).

Any advice much appreciated.

Dont ever use bread yeasts for brewing ( unless your experimenting ) it can't tolerate the req alcohol.

Your yeast should be ok depends how its been kept.... if in doubt re hydrate it with water before you need to add it. see if its working

Put a little bit in some warm water and the water just went a bit cloudy. It's been about 20 minutes, no bubbling or anything. Added a bit of sugar, but no fireworks, so I assume it's dead...

evanvine said:
Lastorders said:
Have re-ordered some Nottingham from a local supplier.
Money bags!

:lol: :lol:

It can take a wee while for the yeast to get going esp. if it is old and the yeast count is down. If you still have the yeast add some nutrient if you have some and see if that helps. just a wee pinch :thumb:

Latest posts

Back