What yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,brewed this today,just made the recipe up loosely based on Greg Hughes Spring beer
4kg Pilsner malt
300g Carapils
200g Oats
30g Galaxy start of boil
30g Galaxy 40g Wai-Iti at flame out
Dry hop 40g Galaxy and 60g Wai-Iti

I have 2x CML pale ale yeast
Or 2x Bohieman Lager yeasts
Or 1x Brewferm yeast
Oh and 2x CML Kolsch yeasts
Ideas welcome please 👍

I guess the pale ale yeast is the safe bet, but hoppy lagers are making a bit of a showing now and can be really nice.
Any way you can do a split batch?

Sorry guys,I just threw in the Pale Ale from CML
I only got 16l at 1042 is that right? Just p**h effiency?
I only used 4kg rather then 5 mind you.
Cheers👍

IMG_1220.jpg

Sorry to bang on but can anyone tell me if something is wrong with my brew?
4kg Pilsner malt
200g Carapils
200g Oats
Ended up with 16 litres at 1042
Is that what I should expect?
I was hoping for around 20 but if I diluted it to that it would be weak I guess ?
Any advice appreciated 👍

Yeah, I don't know what's happened,it had a 90 min mash and an hour boil,and I squeezed the bag like a madman.
Just need to roll on and try the next brew I guess.
Thanks

No,it was pre crushed grain from Brew uk , I did a pathetic sparge with a couple of litres, basically just pouring it over the bag,I was at my caravan and chucked the bikes out for an improvised brew day,I had the mash at 67 degrees and left it,maybe the temp dropped too quick?
I'm new to BIAB so I will probably make loads of mistakes but I'm really not keen on the taste of kits now

No,it was pre crushed grain from Brew uk , I did a pathetic sparge with a couple of litres, basically just pouring it over the bag,I was at my caravan and chucked the bikes out for an improvised brew day,I had the mash at 67 degrees and left it,maybe the temp dropped too quick?
I'm new to BIAB so I will probably make loads of mistakes but I'm really not keen on the taste of kits now

The temp dropping quickly is a possibility but most of the conversion is done by 10-15 mins. I suspect it was possibly your sparge. Try a dunk sparge next time. Very easy, it's what I do (I got 83% efficiency this weekend so works well). Just fill a bucket with your sparge water and then just put your mash bag and grain in their. Give it a good stir and leave it for a few mins then lift the bag out and drain. No need to even squeeze the bag (which I find horribly messy

I like your 'ladder hoist' might give that a go :thumb:

Back