Christmas Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebKerman

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I’m thinking of attempting a Christmas stout using the brewstore 1gallon kit and adding in some bourbon soaked orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg for a festive kick.

How much of these ingredients should I add and when would I add them the the brew?

Thanks in advance from a newbie beer brewer

I am doing a similar thing in the coming weeks. I am going to add cranberries into the end of the boil and then orange peel and cinnamon after fermentation for 3 weeks. I am also doing a saison and adding liquorice and star anise into the end of the boil. I am going with similar weights as I use for hops...

Be interesting to hear any other replies you get!

My gingerbread spiced brown ale had 2tsp ground ginger, 1.5 of cinnamon and 0.5 each of nutmeg and allspice for a 20L batch.

I’m bottling it tonight so I should have some indication of whether the balance is right! I’ve read that spices can take a while to mellow out so if you’re brewing it for Christmas you’d better do it quick!

I’ve read that spices can take a while to mellow out so if you’re brewing it for Christmas you’d better do it quick!

I agree, think its the same thing with most late additions too.

Was listening to the Dr Homebrew podcast and someone had been complaining their chocolate stout wasn't very chocolatey. He had put in Cocoa nibs for 3 days, they suggested leaving them in for 3 weeks at a minimum. They suggested that the longer you leave it, the more the complex flavours come through.

Latest posts

Back