Czech Pilsner, Lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R-J-M

Reaction score
Evening guys, I recently bought and brewed a Better Brew Czech Pilsner Kit. I got this hoping it would be a really fizzy, crisp golden lager......but is it actually a lager or an ale?

I fermented it for 10 days, then primed each bottle and it's been bottled for 10 days now. Stuck one in the fridge last night, opened it now and it's a brown colour, and tastes/smells just like ale.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was hoping for an obvious lager taste, Carling, Coors, Bud etc. Am I just dreaming?

20004-bb-czech-pilsner.jpg

Most lager kits use ale yeasts. Proper lager yeasts need proper temperature and lagering facilities. I don't know about kits but some AG pseudo lagers (lager style beers fermented with ale yeast) are very close to lager in taste.

Regarding style, a Czech Pilsner will never taste like an American lager. They are 2 distinct styles of beer.

Oh dear then lol this kit advised me to ferment at room temperature. I will store the bottles somewhere cool and try one in a month or 2

R-J-M buy the coopers Mexican crevasa. It uses an ale yeast so can brew at 24C. But turns out to be a very light lagery type of drink.

Just brew with 1kg dextrose first time, then try adding dme on your next batches.

Jake

Storing will improve the beer but it won't make it taste like a lager. Next time you make a kit try splitting the brew and use a lager yeast in a 5L demijohn and brew that in your fridge. That will make for a good comparison.

^^
I have that Mexican Czeverza still to brew. I'll maybe practice what I preach and do half with it's original yeast and half with a lager yeast.

Try a Coopers European Lager which comes with a lager yeast so you can ferment at low teens temperatures, but suggest you buy additional lager yeast to boost the kit yeast to ensure it keeps going. I boosted mine with a Saaz dry hop
There are kit reviews on many kits here including lagers.
Beer Kit Review A - Z

Latest posts

Back