Yet another uncrushed grain thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’ve used the search function but it isn’t bringing up anything useful.

I’ve probably mentioned before that a friend’s grandad has written brewing books. He’s currently writing another but, as he no longer brews, he has given me the grain he used for photos. I now have 3kg of uncrushed lager malt and 1kg of uncrushed roasted barley.

I’m probably unlikely to use the barley, but I think I might make a 10-15L SMASH with the lager malt. I don’t have a grain mill though, so what are my options (apart from buying one). Blender? Rolling pin? Ask the microbrewery along the road from my parents very nicely?

I've seen a couple of post on the Forum about being pushed into buying a grain crusher and they were all favourable. No-one seemed to think it a waste of money, quite the opposite, in fact.

I posted about it on a Facebook group and somehow somebody local saw it so I got my grain crushed on Monday evening. I’ll get the GW Guinness clone on to brew either Friday or Sunday depending on 1) my plans for my long weekend, and 2) whether the hops and yeast arrive in time.

Mine cost about £30. Does the job.

Northern brown 26-4-16 - 1.jpg

My grain mill is the second best thing I bought for this hobby after my brew fridge. A sound investment.

Back