Beer bellys

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a new hip 3 years ago I had to change my ways and help myself. I needed lots of physio to realign my pelvis and build back muscle and regain strength. I took up the gym and bought a bike...mostly light resistance and endurance stuff with no impact. I was doing really well until around January / February this year when my sacrolitis went hay wire causing inflammation where my spine meets the pelvis. I've done no gym since and an odd bit of cycling but I have kept active walking and gardening. I plan to resume the gym...soon.
As for the belly....yup it's creeping back although I don't seem to be getting heavier...

I had bloods yesterday....cholesterol up, liver ok but could be better....BP not as bad today as yesterday.

Generally cutting down, getting on the bike.

I had bloods yesterday....cholesterol up, liver ok but could be better....BP not as bad today as yesterday.

Generally cutting down, getting on the bike.

How high is your BP? The last 'health mot' I had said that I was in pretty good shape except for the damn blood pressure which refuses to come down to normal despite daily medication and some significant dietary changes. Still much better than it once was, though.

I run maybe 20km a week, but don't watch what I eat and drink probably 10-15 pints a week.
Still got a bit of a gut, but screw it. How many 43 year olds can say they have completed a marathon!!!!
However, before I do a 10k race or any longer distance runs, I don't drink for 3 days and it makes a terrific difference to my time and recovery period.

How high is your BP? The last 'health mot' I had said that I was in pretty good shape except for the damn blood pressure which refuses to come down to normal despite daily medication and some significant dietary changes. Still much better than it once was, though.

Variable...think it is borderline into high - 140/100, 140/87, 146/94 etc.

I always carried a lot of muscle from my martial arts training. I didn't develop a beer belly but I just get more padding than I'd like so it sort of sneaks up on me. Unlike the days when I was training 21 hours a week, I have to periodically cut right back on the food and beer - I'll never be a sylph though.

I run maybe 20km a week, but don't watch what I eat and drink probably 10-15 pints a week.
Still got a bit of a gut, but screw it. How many 43 year olds can say they have completed a marathon!!!!
However, before I do a 10k race or any longer distance runs, I don't drink for 3 days and it makes a terrific difference to my time and recovery period.

Marathon?
I thought they were called Snickers now?

Variable...think it is borderline into high - 140/100, 140/87, 146/94 etc.

About what mine averages, these days. Bit better than pre-medication and dietary changes when the first number would flirt with 200! Only found out about it after they refused to do a minor operation until I got the blood pressure down. Would probably have expired through a stroke or heart attack by now.

Damaged my spine about 10 years ago. Slept 3 to 4 hours a night before the pain would wake me up. Took a few years before I got meds that worked (alternative would've been a quite scary operation on the nerves).
Side effect? Weight gain by slowed down metabolism. +25% in 8 yrs. Meh. Health is okayish, BP is 130 over 90, not smoking anymore, buying clothes is unpleasant. BUT the belly prevents food crumbs falling on the floor, and that's a nice plus :)

Above all pain is the worst enemy no doubt! I can truly sympathise! It can destroy you and lead you horrible places whether it's vices or medication.
I took all sorts of prescription **** when my hip was wrecked. I take nothing now.

It's the arthritis in my ankles that precipitated the beer belly.

Knacked ankles = no football

Football was my life

Wish I'd been good

It's the arthritis in my ankles that precipitated the beer belly.

Knacked ankles = no football

Football was my life

Wish I'd been good
I wasn't half bad as a nipper but then I hit puberty and had a problem with tachycardia that stopped me dead in my tracks although not in ill health,stayed with me until in my 40s and had to be addressed big time by a stay in hospital and having an ablasion what is now called the Blair burn who had the procedure after I had it done,cured me outright,just wish it had been available back in the late 60s

I wasn't half bad as a nipper but then I hit puberty and had a problem with tachycardia that stopped me dead in my tracks although not in ill health,stayed with me until in my 40s and had to be addressed big time by a stay in hospital and having an ablasion what is now called the Blair burn who had the procedure after I had it done,cured me outright,just wish it had been available back in the late 60s

Sorry to hear that.

I'd have been very disappointed. I really loved playing football more than anything else.

Back