Bottom pitching ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Just watched a video where the guy put the yeast into his bucket first and then wort on top.

Aerated nicely.

I’ve always chucked the yeast on top, so may try this approach.

What do others do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched a video where the guy put the yeast into his bucket first and then wort on top.

Aerated nicely.

I’ve always chucked the yeast on top, so may try this approach.

What do others do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use dry yeast, because small batches and the cost (though I'm willing to acknowledge superiority of liquid yeast). New yeast directly on top, older yeast (or the leftover from half a sachet) rehydrated/started and also on top.
Always got the yeast working.

It likely does make much difference but I think dry yeast is better put on to to slowly/gently hydrate and get going, I think if the wort is added on top it will kill a few more cells. But I could be wrong.

hydrating the yeast before pitching either at the top or bottom of the fv will have a much bigger impact, your better off reading for yourselves why but my limited understanding is that it has a lot to do with plain water hydrating quicker than a sweet denser liquid, but the result can be a much higher proportion of viable yeast surviving the hydration..

Back