AG BIAB #15 Wye Valley HPA clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Second attempt at this, first one was OK but not hoppy enough, so I upped the late hops and added a further dry hop. HPA is a very pale yellow for those who haven't seen it, almost clear, no darkening grains at all.

First BIAB since the summer recess: I revert to extract/kits in summer because I struggle to cool brews down, plus there's a lot of flies around here in the countryside (I've suffered from infected brews in previous summers). It was refreshing to get back to AG brewing and I thoroughly enjoyed it, guess I missed it.

12L stove-top brew, OG 1042, hit my usual 68% efficiency with a dunk sparge. Fermented it with a Coopers yeast I had hanging around.

Bit late doing this write-up: bottled it today with an FG of 1009.

Grain Bill
----------------
2.300 kg Maris Otter Malt (90.2%)
0.250 kg Wheat Malt (9.8%)

Hop Bill
----------------
19.0 g Target Leaf (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)
5.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
12.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.9 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.8 g/L)

Thanks DarrellM. This was one of my favorite AG brews when I was over in Worcester. I must do it again now I'm in Norwich, but I need to sort out my water (tap water here is no good for paler beers).

I feel a little bit jealous!! Enjoy.

Martin

I love the Wye Valley beers. How did your recipe compare to mine Martin?

It was a bit of a guess based on a visit to the brewery, their website and being a regualr consumer of HPA: all the pubs round here suddenly seem to be stocking Wye Valley :)

First sample - colour looks about right, taste getting closer, probably needs a while to condition but still can't seem to get the sweetness that Wye Valley (and other) beers have.

Wye Valley HPA.jpg

I've brewed HPA a couple of times and am doing another one this weekend. My previous batch of Wye Valley yeast had run its course so I've recently kidnapped some from a bottle and cultured it. It's also a top cropper and I got about 8 brews from my first culture.

My first HPA 2 years ago is still my most successful beer to date. A cracking session ale.

Edit: forgot to say, beer looks good!

Latest posts

Back