Anyone ever brewed Charlie Papazian's Unspoken Passion Imperial Raspberry Stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teadixon

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been reading on here for a little while, but this is the first time I've felt the need to post.

I'm a new but enthusiastic brewer: I did 3 kits and have just moved up to all grain brewing - done 2 brews so far (1 American Wheat Ale, bottle conditioning, and an another madly hoppy low abv number in FV) and am gearing up for the next (an oatmeal stout). I've been following James Morton's 'Brew' book (which I've found really helpful) so am doing BIAB, on small set up (14 Litre pot on the stove, brewing up 10L batches).

I've been given Charlie Papazian's 'Home Brewer's Companion' by an American in law and stumbled across his 'Unspoken Passion Imperial Raspberry Stout'. It sounds great for a special Christmas brew, but I'm curious to find if anyone's ever done it? How did it go?

The recipe uses extract, so that's new to me - but he combines it with a mash. I'm curious about the mash time. I've been mashing for an hour, but in this recipe the mash is only 30 mins, then the grains come out and it's boiled with extract. He doesn't seem to explain this step - any idea what's going on? Is 30 mins mash enough?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim

Never brewed it but my advice would be to convert it to AG if that's what you're used to, it's very simple to do. Just use ~1.5 kg of pale malt for every kg of DME and keep the same quantity of the partial mash grains. Just mash them all together as you normally do.

Never brewed it but my advice would be to convert it to AG if that's what you're used to, it's very simple to do. Just use ~1.5 kg of pale malt for every kg of DME and keep the same quantity of the partial mash grains. Just mash them all together as you normally do.
Agree with Steve...its the way forward:thumb:

Interesting.

And thanks - as the DME looked kind of pricey. He specifies Plain Amber Extract - should I still substitute for Pale Malt, or maybe use something else?

I found this online:

Amber extract is typically 90 percent to 95 percent pale malt, up to 5 percent crystal malt, and/or up to 3 percent chocolate or black malt.

I'm going to boost my Crystal and Black malts a little and make it up with pale malt.

I'll post the recipe in another thread for discussion when I've got it all worked out.

Looking forward to this one!

Did you ever finish making the all grain recipe?

I did - I posted it up here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66490

It was a really interesting brew, the raspberry a bit too pronounced maybe. I still have a 750ml bottle of it that I’m saving for Xmas.

Funnily enough The Kernel came out with a Raspberry stout just after I brewed mine!

Back