Greg Hughes saison help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamf89

Reaction score
Just started brewing the Greg Hughes saison and noticed there is 200g of honey in the recipe which I don't have is there any substitute or will it really matter.. Am moding the recipe by making a blackberry saison adding blackberries too secondary would it be okay without the honey or will it be missing something

I’d say just use regular white sugar, probably the same amount (since honey is mostly sugar).

Recipe says honey last five minutes of the boil...I wonder if this is to retain any flavour or aroma? If it was just an abv boost you could just,as said,add sugar or syrup....

I’ve brewed this recipe and used sugar instead of the honey. I also added a strong form of Brett, so hard for me to comment on how the sugar for honey swap turned out...
But I do add sugar to most of my regular sasions and they all turn out nice with super low fg’s

You add honey 5 minutes from the end of the boil to sterilise it as it contains wild yeasts and bacteria, but late in the boil so as not to lose any aroma. If you're adding blackberries then honey is pointless as the blackberry flavours will totally overpower any honey aromas. Use about 2/3 white sugar instead, so about 140g.

Latest posts

Back