Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotbrew

Optomist
Reaction score
Beer bottles- thinking about bottles suitable for Homebrew and handling pressure, is there a minimum weight that is recommended? Some beer bottles feel heavy and good quality others feel rather light weight as if the manufacturer only designed them for single use. Any recommendations on this?

If it had beer in in the first place just crack-on they'll be fine. I've used all sorts and never had a problem and you're right some are lighter than others but they're ok, only time you might ever have a problem is if you over prime, get an infection or bottle too soon but you're in control of that. Having said that I'd be cautious of using them little French stubbies, I'd probably find something else.

Cheers, reckon I’ll just use heaviest to be safe. :thumb:

wheat beers are highly carbonated so their bottles would be most capable of handling high pressures. An ale bottle doesn't need to handle such pressure.

Ta, if you’ve got a wheat beer bottle 500ml handy would you weigh it please. I can then decide if the ones I propose to use are suitable. I’ve plenty of Grolsh flip top bottles but fancy having a few crown tops as giveaways from each batch (flip tops never seem to return)

I've had the same worry so I got a bunhc fo the Duvel-style "steinie" bottles as I got a spec sheet which says they can handle 7.1 g/L CO2 which equates to like 3.6 vols (from memory, I did the maths a while ago). I kept my trappist bottles as some of them are reputed to be 4 or 5 vols. Got a Belgian Dark Strong to bottle soon, need to decide how carbonated it should be.

I think they're all overengineered out of concern for user safety. I use an eclectic selection of random ale bottles and never had an exploding bottle even when I cocked up a brew and produced massively overcarbonated gushers.

I'm the same as foxbat. I've got really heavy duty growlers right through to some rather lightweight looking/feeling 330ml bottles I've never had a problem with any and have also had a fair few gushers in my time

Only time I've had problems with bottles breaking was way back when I used to use a hammer on crown capper (they were such a bad idea) when I was skint and couple afford a level capper. Never had one break from internal pressure.

Latest posts

Back