Fullers yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fugglehead

Reaction score
Anyone used Fullers 1845 yeast from the bottle? Is it a top fermenter, and if so, how does it behave? Does it clear down nicely, and how about taste? Any comments would be much appreciated.

From what I gather it is a very good top fermenting Primary strain. I think it is the same as the Whitelabs london yeast but not sure. :thumb:

Nope....

I can assure you its a bottom dweller, it does throw off a Krausen but does act just like S04 in that it sits on the bottom of the fermenter chugging away.

I use it whenever I can as it is a dream to work with, as soon as it has finished fermenting, it drops well and with a bit of gelatin or issinglass will leave the beer crystal clear. Beers seem to be able to condition up well with Fullers, leaving a very full bodied brew, that maybe on the sweetside for some...

for further reading google WLP002

rob

I assume its the same as Bengal Lancer yeast, in which case it is indeed a cracker! :thumb:

Although I have also read it's not that stable for multiple generations so I've only ever cultured and then used once

Ive used it on multiple generations a few times, but its so easy and fun to capture it from a few Bengal Lancer bottles it does not seem worth the hassle. I go to Sainsburies, buy Bengal Lancer when on offer and shove it in the garage..then, when ready, capture the yeast 4 days before brewday, get it chugging away in a 200ml starter, when fermentation subsides in the starter, whack it into a brew and within 6 hours I have 70 litres of beer off like a train

I have found that its not too wonderful with pale hop bombs as it seems to subdue the big hop flavours. I tend to put a bit of carafa or crystal malt in pales for a bit of maltiness and you can really taste it when used with WLP002, however for the same recipe its almost undetectable with US05 or S04.

If however, you like a bit of malt flavours to your beer, with excellent condition then WLP002 is your yeast. As for bottling, its the doggies danglies...it sticks to the bottom of a bottle like **** to a blanket.

This has to be my most used yeast. If only it was a top cropper it would be perfect

I've only used the Wyeast strain (1968) but I love it. The beer drops crystal clear without finings and you need a chisel to get it out of the fermenter!

I have harvested and reused it with great results.

Thanks, everyone. I'll try it on one of my brews. Normally use Coniston Bluebird with good results, but went to my usual source for a bottle of it yesterday and they seem to have stopped stocking it, so I'm looking for decent alternatives.

Latest posts

Back