Fuggles and Bramling cross

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
I`ve got 100g pack of each of these the fuggles are 3.9%aa and the bramling cross are 5.2%aa i`m hoping to get a brew on before i order any more hops, i`ve plenty of grains - pale, crystal, wheat,amber and cara - any ideas or should i wait for my next hops? I`m thinking both these are more aroma / flavour then bittering? :hmm:

I did a brew at the start of January using just maris otter, a small amount of crystal and just bramling cross for both bittering and aroma.
I'll gladly post it for you but as it's only a couple of weeks old, I haven't tried it and would hate to recommend something that I hadn't tried :grin:
I was told that the bramling cross has quite a powerful blackcurrant after-taste, which I'm really looking forward to.

No problem... here it is straight from beersmith (I forgot .. I added some wheat malt to it too ... getting to quite like the 'fullness' it gives a brew)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 28.62 L
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 16.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 31.4 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (4.5 EBC)
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.0 EBC)
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (145.0 EBC)

60.00 gm Bramling Cross [5.80 %] (60 min)
20.00 gm Bramling Cross [5.80 %] (15 min)
20.00 gm Bramling Cross [5.80 %] (10 min) (Aroma)
1.32 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.30 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

cheers Tony - will be looking to brew very simular next weekend i hope! I have used wheat malt in my last few brews too and its a great addition for head retention and i find it gives a good full malt flavour to :clap:

Excellent ... go for it!
I'm going to have to sample mine this weekend - little early but I'll need to check if all is going well ;)
I'll let you know how it is... let me know how you get on with it
Good luck!

Hi Rick
couldn't wait any longer ... got home and had to try this brew.
Real success this one .. not fully conditioned, still a little sweet and a bit cloudy (like it's dad!) But a great taste. I'd recommend the bramling cross!

I think that's great advice evanvine, having sampled a bottle, its a little on the sweet side. I shall try that!

I noticed that you used some as a late addition in your brew yesterday, wonderful taste & smell from these.

Cheers for the advice - i`m gonna go with the all bramling cross as its all weighed out and i`m planning an all fuggles brew for next weekend just in case my hop delivery isn`t here before the weekend ;)
So wish me luck will post my brewday later :pray:

Let us know how it goes. I've got some bramling cross I was thinking of using in an oatmeal stout but I should have some left...

I'm with you on goldings vs fuggles evanvine and I'm a mere stripling in my mid 30s :)

Latest posts

Back