New member needs brew advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
Hi,

I've made a brew using Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale kit and its currently in a bottling bin for a few days prior to bottling. However, one slight issue I have is that I've accidentally brewed it "short", I've added 20 litres of water as opposed to the 23 litres in the instructions.

So my question is this; I would rather have the correct volume and taste of this beer considering it's the first time I've brewed it, so could I simply add an extra 3 litres of water to the bottling bin and wait a few days, or if I did that would it just taste "watery"?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Diluting it should be OK (some commercial ciders and maybe some beers are made strong and diluted at bottling time), but I bet it's fine as it is.

stick with the volume you have, it will be a better beer.

just get another brew on... :grin:

Before I bottle I disolve the priiming sugar in some boiling water before adding to the bucket I use for bottling. You could just use more boiled water to make the desired length.
However if it was me I would just accept the amount made; it will be slightly stronger, lesson learned.
Put another brew on and smile.

A lot of people deliberately brew short to improve the beer so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I suspect you weren't meant to add 23L anyway. You need to add enough water to make it upto 23L which is probably about 20L.

Yes, sorry that's what I meant, final total volume of 23l.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, think I might just add 1l more of boiling water with the priming sugar and leave it at that, see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back