Brewery Build, 100L-200L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewberoza

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some information on anyone who has built a brewery of this size. I was thinking standard English set up of mash tun, kettles and fermenters but maybe a hot liquor tank also. I would aspire to stainless steel as much as possible but will settle for plastic to make it easier on the wallet.

Has anyone any experience or know some good resources? I have largely built my own 20L kit but now I have money and space to build some thing bigger.
Particularly interested in how to cultivate yeast to that size. Is it possible to grow vials of white lab yeasts into starters large enough for 100L/200L kit?

Any information would be greatly desired.

Bergland are your best bet for pots that size. Have a look HERE, but email them first to check on the price with shipping to UK. Usually cheaper than advertised on ebay.

think mrlard of the homebrewbuilder.co.uk has access to bigger 200l pots..

power might become an issue with larger volumes needing more oomph than a domestic supply can provide?

i went with 98l french pots for hlt and boil pot and an 80l thermopot tun ;) fun to mod and easy(in retrospect) with help and advice found here and similar places.

whats the plan if just for home supping a bigger brewkit could reduce your brewdays(fundays) and variety of beer..

I've got a 200L copper/kettle 2 x 3Kw LWD elements on order from Mr Lard. I had a chat with my friendly 'sparky' (who installed my brewery ring main) and he said I can use these elements on my domestic supply at the same time, but advises I use them on separate sockets (at first) just in-case of any problems.

My current set-up is a 100L HLT, 80L Insulated MT and 100L copper with two 2.75Kw kettle elements (will become a second FV when replaced by the 200L copper).

thanks guys

What do you do about yeast when you are dealing with super large brews? Do you just use extra packets/vials or is it feasible to grow a starter to that size.

I managed to get a 'good deal' on Fleabay and bought a 500g packet of Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast. Threw it in the freezer in a sealed plastic box and just weigh-out the quantity I need for each brew (as per manufacturers recommendations), rehydrate and stir into the cooled wort.

I love Nottingham ale yeast, it seems to ferment and flocculate very well.

warrior_ferment.jpg

Brewberoza said:
thanks guys

What do you do about yeast when you are dealing with super large brews? Do you just use extra packets/vials or is it feasible to grow a starter to that size.

yes as long as u start a few days in advance..
starter base wort with a 1040 gravity can be made from 100g of dme per litre of water, and it can be sanitised by a boil. after u have built up the starter to about 2l and its been sat a couple of days, pour off the spent wort and use the larger yeast population :)

Time has moved on a bit now. How did you get on with the 200l pot? Are the two elements enough to her a good boil in a reasonable time? Considering 200l myself.

Back