The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this was my first brew with the CML yeast (a clone of Harveys Sussex Bitter), I was initially a little disappointed that it was taking a while to clear but you can't say that this is cloudy after 2 months in the keg. Great tasting too, going to order some more of this yeast.

Well this was my first brew with the CML yeast (a clone of Harveys Sussex Bitter), I was initially a little disappointed that it was taking a while to clear but you can't say that this is cloudy after 2 months in the keg. Great tasting too, going to order some more of this yeast.

I could dive into that pint, looks lovely!

I know I've said it before but picking up on the clarity thing.... I've found all CML stuff to be very cloudy going into the bottle, regardless of how long it's been in the FV / cold crashing etc. But I've yet to see one that isn't crystal within a week of bottling. Amazing!

Glad to hear so many positive things about CML yeast. I’ve just used it for the 1st time in a Zombie Dust clone. I used American Pale Ale Yeast. It went off like a rocket. Biggest krausen I’ve ever seen. So much co2 it Practically blew my star san out of th airlock. Then 3 days later it seems all done. All quiet, not a bubble.

Glad to hear so many positive things about CML yeast. I’ve just used it for the 1st time in a Zombie Dust clone. I used American Pale Ale Yeast. It went off like a rocket. Biggest krausen I’ve ever seen. So much co2 it Practically blew my star san out of th airlock. Then 3 days later it seems all done. All quiet, not a bubble.

Fairly typical fermentation with that yeast in my experience. It's quite lively!

My latest order includes ingredients for a couple of batches of pseudo lager. ..I've previously fermented at 15 with two pkts of wilko gervin and results were good. I' m thinking of using CML kolsch or cali for a change...any advice..

Cheers

Clint

I've just done a split batch with 3 crossmyloof yeasts, real ale, us pale and kolsh all brewed at 19.5c and the kolsh is the one that's produced the stand out flavour. Not stand out as in my favourite but interesting. I was going for a pale ale and the real ale had knocked it out, it just immediately says cask ale. The US Pale is quite malty (went for 30 ibus) but the Kolsh has this almost peppery spicy flavour. It's not bad, just something I'm not used to, and I think once I'm more experienced could be something I can tame and work with. So maybe the spice is due to the temperature; maybe it's less pronounced at the 15 or 16c range.

Sorry if this doesn't help, Clint.

My IPA with CML US Pale yeast has finished its rapid fermentation after 2 days @ 20 deg C, which is the fastest I've seen. In fact, it looks to be totally finished. I still plan on leaving it 2 weeks, but after 7 days, do you think there would be anything to be gained by dropping the brew fridge temp, or just leave it as it is?

My latest order includes ingredients for a couple of batches of pseudo lager. ..I've previously fermented at 15 with two pkts of wilko gervin and results were good. I' m thinking of using CML kolsch or cali for a change...any advice..

Cheers

Clint

I'm about to use the same on my next brew. General rule for Kolsch or Alt is that you ferment a bit colder than ale so you're looking at 16-18C and then you want to lager afterwards to get a nice clean taste. That's what I'll go with so will post when I've had a go. Just need to wait until my current beer is ready to come out the fridge.

I know I've said it before but picking up on the clarity thing.... I've found all CML stuff to be very cloudy going into the bottle, regardless of how long it's been in the FV / cold crashing etc. But I've yet to see one that isn't crystal within a week of bottling. Amazing!

I bottled a Totally tropical pale ale 12 days ago, brewed with CML yeast. Despite using Irish moss and cold crashing for 4 days it looked aweful going into the bottle, it tasted amazing so wasnt too worried about it. I had a taste the other day to see how its coming along (I can never resist!) and it came out the bottle crystal clear!! I was very chuffed.

Ive been using CML yeast alot recently but these have all been stouts and dark ales, this was the first pale ale. Ordered another 13 packets of yeast from them the other day... along with half a kilo of hops

Not yeast, but I’ve just glanced at the CML web site and it’s now saying malt will be available in March!

...here’s hoping their malt prices are as good as their yeast prices.

Just bottled a gallon made with the Real Ale.

Recipe: 400g pale malt, 300g extra dark DME, 30g wheat malt, 50g DIY crystal (wetted, almost sous-vide steeped to convert sugars, then put into the oven)
Hops: 3g admiral@60, 6g admiral hop stand at 70c 15 mins, and it dropped to 60c during.
Dry hop: 3g fuggles, 3g EKG, 3g Admiral, 6g cascade

17 days in the ferm fridge at 20c, 3 days cold crashed in the coal-hole and it is crystal clear. Taster before bottling was gorgeous. It tasted like a real cask ale and I was going to hold back 500ml and burst carbonate and swig right away but there was only 4 litres after trub loss and my little habit of nipping away at it. It really does taste like it could be a bit of alright.

I’ve got a 5L ESB brewing using CML real ale yeast. 2 days of mad activity, and now looks done. Even clearing in the DJ at 48 hours. I am a little worried at the speed. Hope it turns out ok.

This is it at 12 hours.

Attachments

• F2A22246-C6E3-40F6-8882-A3B5353EF9A9.jpeg
    F2A22246-C6E3-40F6-8882-A3B5353EF9A9.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 68
All done at 48 hours?

Attachments

• 35B4DDE9-7B3F-4BBF-AF86-5C2EF533D616.jpeg
    35B4DDE9-7B3F-4BBF-AF86-5C2EF533D616.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 71
All done at 48 hours?
Yep - I've been keeping notes and the same thing is happening. What temperature did you brew at? I'm knocking my 3 week fermentations down to 2 for ales and 10 days for wheats with this yeast. Doing the extra days for the yeast byproduct cleanup if any new brewers are listening... and are still reading after 1751 pages of yeast love.

Yep - I've been keeping notes and the same thing is happening. What temperature did you brew at? I'm knocking my 3 week fermentations down to 2 for ales and 10 days for wheats with this.

It’s a pretty steady 21.5C in that cupboard.

Think I’ll do as you, and will bottle this at 2 weeks. That should be plenty of extra time for it to finish off and yeast do their clean up?

Hi,
I've got a Cali Comon (called Common as Muck) fermenting with CML Cali yeast.
It had dropped from 1.055 to 1.016 in 3 days.
One week after pitching, it's dropped to 1.014, which is a little disappointing (recipe suggests 1.009 as FG.
I got a lot of break material in the FV and the sample had a lot of bits floating in it - I'm sure it will settle when it's cold crashed.
EDIT - I forgot to allow for the 200g maltodextrin that I added for the last 5 minutes of the boil - it's going to contribute about 4 points, so I'm almost spot on.

Last edited:
I’ve just started a brew with the saison yeast. First time using the CML so fingers crossed.
When rehydrating the yeast sank straight through the water. Mangrove jack and fermentis tend to float until stirred in.
Sure it doesn’t matter, just an observation.

Latest posts

Back