Sharp's 6 Vintage Blend

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone had one of these before? Or more to the point, anyone cultured the yeast up and used it in their brews?

IMG_20170129_215321.jpg

Where did you get that from? There's a forumite whose trying to clone Sharps Sea Fury ( an ESB I also like), so getting hold of the Sharps yeast strain might help him get one step closer

It was a present from my bro in law, he went to Cornwall and went to their brewery. I thought it was very nice until he said "sorry for breaking your BBNo. glass, but we're even now?"

I assume they use the same yeast in all their beers and this isn't a blend of 6 yeasts as well?

@myqul, how different is the yeast culturing process which you wrote out if you have a stir plate?

More or less the same but a) you'll get a lot more yeast with a stir plat so may not need to do as many step ups b) you'll need something with a flat bottom for the stir plate and stir bar to work rather than 2L coke bottle. Like an erlymyer flask or even I've heard of people using demijohns with a large enough stir plate

More or less the same but a) you'll get a lot more yeast with a stir plat so may not need to do as many step ups b) you'll need something with a flat bottom for the stir plate and stir bar to work rather than 2L coke bottle. Like an erlymyer flask or even I've heard of people using demijohns with a large enough stir plate

Thanks for the advice. I will culture this up to the best of my abilities. If the forumite looking for the yeast comes across this post I'm very open to trades.

Hi!

I am trying to replicate that Sea Fury sharps beer. Brilliant beer!

For what would you trade the yeast?
Bottleswap? Sorry I am not a native speaker and seem to need explanation.

Thanks for the offer btw.

Hi!

I am trying to replicate that Sea Fury sharps beer. Brilliant beer!

For what would you trade the yeast?
Bottleswap? Sorry I am not a native speaker and seem to need explanation.

Thanks for the offer btw.

No worries at all. I'm not brewing a beer with this yeast for a long time, I have no "English style" ale on my brew list. What I'm happy to do though is culture the yeast up and send a vial/jar of it over to you. My stir plate is occupied right now but will be free on Sunday when I can get started.

I'm happy to swap with a vial/jar of interesting yeast which you have, or do a bottle swap. I'm always on the lookout for different lager yeasts (I have saflager s-23 & w-34/70), or any liquid Belgian yeasts or yeasts cultured up from a bottle of Belgian beer. If you have anything interesting I'm also open to other suggestions.

Hi again

I thought about it and the thing I could offer is to try to culture up the lager yeast from one of the few lager beers I really enjoy.

It's the "Mönchshof Märzen" (in English monks yard). This is a beer style also known as Oktoberfest beer. It is from a bavarian brewery. They also make the best Kellerbier I know.

moenchshof-historisches-maerzen-craft-beer-award-2016.jpg

I don't know what strain they use but I guess its their very own house yeast domesticised over the past ages...

So, if this is of interest for you just write out and I will try my best.

How would you send the yeast?

Best regards

That looks good! I'm going to brew a lager soon so lager yeast would be very useful. I say soon, but really I'm in no rush, it's on my brew schedule. How would it be easiest to send? In a couple of beers or just the yeast? Either way is good for me.

I'll start conditioning up the Sharp's yeast tomorrow. I'd like to send it in a bottle of beer but considering the time it takes to culture up, then ferment, then condition, it will be a while until I can send it to you. However, if time is not an issue, I don't mind brewing a pale ale or stout with it for my next batch. Otherwise I'll send out some vials to you once the yeast have been built up.

If you want a bottle of the 6 Vintage Blend they sell it in Whole Foods Market along with quite a nice selection of other craft beer and cider. I was in the Cheltenham branch a week or so back buying myself a birthday present and was told it's 10% off if you buy 12 or more beers then when I got to the checkout one of the beers was missing a barcode and the chap on the till said I could have it for free. Not bad at all and I'll be on the look out for barcodeless beers if I go in again!

Most stores in the big smoke it would seem: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list/uk

If you want a bottle of the 6 Vintage Blend they sell it in Whole Foods Market along with quite a nice selection of other craft beer and cider. I was in the Cheltenham branch a week or so back buying myself a birthday present and was told it's 10% off if you buy 12 or more beers then when I got to the checkout one of the beers was missing a barcode and the chap on the till said I could have it for free. Not bad at all and I'll be on the look out for barcodeless beers if I go in again!

Most stores in the big smoke it would seem: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/list/uk

Nice. I'll add the strain to the bottle conditioned list as well as this info :thumb:

Nice. I'll add the strain to the bottle conditioned list as well as this info :thumb:

I bought some beers from Beer Hawk, a lot of them were bottle conditioned but have no idea what strain they use. A couple of them which I cultured up weren't great, either the yeast wasn't viable or something went wrong in my process.

Would any of this be of use to that list? I assume you mean the one on the forum?

I bought some beers from Beer Hawk, a lot of them were bottle conditioned but have no idea what strain they use. A couple of them which I cultured up weren't great, either the yeast wasn't viable or something went wrong in my process.

Would any of this be of use to that list? I assume you mean the one on the forum?

Yes, the forum list. If you think any of them are worth adding to the list I'll add them. Some micro's just use dried yeast such as US-05 or S04 as dried is so much easier to handle then liquid so some the beer hawk ones may not be worth adding

Yes, the forum list. If you think any of them are worth adding to the list I'll add them. Some micro's just use dried yeast such as US-05 or S04 as dried is so much easier to handle then liquid so some the beer hawk ones may not be worth adding

I assumed the IPAs/pales I got were just US-05/WLP001 etc but I got a lot more wheat beers, saisons, Belgians, lagers to find an interesting strain. I used the yeast from an And Union wheat beer to ferment my wheat beer for the competition in December, which came second.

I'm actually going to brew with this yeast sooner than I thought. March 18th will ferment with it.

I suddenly need to make a stout and thought this would be good yeast for it.

I'm very sorry to respond so late. But it seems that I'm too occupied to do anything brew hobby related for a while unfortunately.
But still thanks for the offer!

The batch I made with this yeast didn't turn out well. It got infected, tasted awful and I had to chuck it.

Really late reply to this but had that beer at Paul Ainsworth's restaurant in Padstow a few weeks ago. It was paired to a bread and butter pudding. really interesting beer, quite savoury with some good dried fruit flavours... Its actually a blend of 6 different beers though so not quite sure what yeast you would end up with...

Latest posts

Back