peroni help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AlanHarper I've brewed with hersbrucker a few times and the flavour profile is different to Peroni.

Having just had a decent pint of Peroni not 1 hour ago I'd say the hops are Saaz and what separates it from other macro lagers is a certain sweetness/body that is either coming from pale crystal or a higher mash temperature.

I'd shoot for a typical Pilsner recipe and yeast but aim to finish with a slightly higher gravity.
==================================
Hi Foxbat, I took another look at MyPeroni recipe and gave it a tweek - partly due to your suggestion and partly due to other info I found that suggests Saaz is the preferred hops - though I read that they use Hop Oil in their brew. I chose to keep some of the Hersbrucker and replace later additions with the Saaz. I also tweaked the volumes etc to get nearer the 5.1% and the lower IBU.
--------------------------------------------------

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: My Peroni
Author: Alan Harper
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: German Pilsner (Pils)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 15 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.065
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.007
ABV (standard): 5.1%
IBU (tinseth): 25.51
SRM (morey): 2.67
FERMENTABLES:
3 kg - United Kingdom - Pilsen (75.9%)
0.5 kg - Flaked Corn (12.7%)
450 g - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (11.4%)
HOPS:
20 g - Hallertau Hersbrucher, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 7.68
10 g - Hallertau Hersbrucher, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 3.37
20 g - Saaz, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.8, Use: Aroma for 30 min, IBU: 5.61
40 g - Saaz, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.8, Use: Aroma for 20 min, IBU: 8.84
MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 65 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 10 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 80 C, Time: 30 min, Amount: 10 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg
OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5 g - irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
YEAST:
Brewferm Lager
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 78%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 10 - 15 C
Fermentation Temp: 15 C
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)
TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Tesco's Ashbeck Still Water
Ca2: 10
Mg2: 2
Na: 9
Cl: 12
SO4: 10
HCO3: 25
Water Notes:
This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/666213/my-peroni
Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-06-19 19:06 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-06-19 18:59 UTC

I think flaked maize from the HB shop has to be'fit for human consumption' of course, whereas animal feed doesnt. Next time I use flaked maize in a brew I'm just going to use the cheapest cornflakes I can find (ASDA smart price 500g@ 45p :whistle:).

Flaked maize and other cereal adjuncts used in brewing are often supplied to breweries from animal feed merchants. These cereals are commodities and can be used for animal and human consumption. For example... I'Anson supplies Brewers Select and other breweries directly and most probably home brew shops too.

http://www.mmfeeds.com/products/micronized-products

Quote from MM Feeds website...
Torrefied Barley cooked at high temperatures, which results in gelatinisation of the endosperm. The product is used in the Brewing sector, a favourite in the craft brewing sector to promote head retention and adds body to the beer.

Hi guys, I'm new here, and looking to brew my first All Grain recipe. I've been researching how to clone Peroni, which lead me here. @AlanHarper how did you get on in the end, could you guys offer any advise before I dive in? Thanks.

Hi Manx
a suggestion that may help I made a generic Italian style lager
3.5Kg of Lager Malt
100g of Torrified Wheat
120g of Corn Flakes
500g of Rice (2 x 250 packs of microwave rice)
14g of Magnum at 30mins
25g of Saaz @ 15 mins
15g os Saaz with 10g of Hersbrucker @ 5 mins
it was a 60 min mash and 60 min boil, I used the rice as it is already cooked and so no separate boiling. Just be careful of a stuck slow mash as the cornflakes do clog a bit but should be ok. I did no chill and it was clear as a bell and removed the hops at flame out

Its not a clone as it was my first attempt and would need some tweaking as it can take quite a few brews to get near to a exact beer but it uses what I have been led to believe is the correct hops and grain bill i.e they use maize, rice, saaz and hersbrucker?. As a lager 1st go its getting like it but will need some fine tuning.Just read a few other recipes and try to glean more info and have a go

Hi pal,
Looking good!
Its all about experimenting, taking notes and perfecting them...mind I no expert lol.
TBH if you are looking a a few recipes (that confirmed as success) you can mix n match AS LONG AS YOU understand what the grain are and what they bring to the party,as well as the hops etc.
Temp control and the yeast be the key.
Some people are scared of 'Lagering' but for me it isn't harder, just time consuming.
Well done pal, looking fwd to your progress.
Hope my woffle is understandable lol.
UiqdhZa.jpg

Bri

Around end of december i made the @Bigcol49 peroni recipe .
23 litres
3780g Pilsner malt
1260g flaked maize
14g Magnum hops @60 minutes
12g Saaz hops @ 15 minutes
12g Saaz hops at flameout.
90 minute mash but chose to do hochkurz mash at 63C for 70
minutes then 69/70 for 20 minutes
90 minute boil
Yeast: i went with wyeast 2007 bud strain .

Everything went well fermented out and bottled in warm 3 weeks then fridge cold for 3 weeks then left in garrige at 12 since.
I put one in fridge last week tried it yesterday and was bit flat no head at all but nice Taist
Also tried 3 more at room temp What was slightly better .
The beer is fizzy so not flat but not carbed enough its got bubbles rising but no head whats so ever . .
I tried strait after another diffrent pilsner i botted same time and same sugar and that had a massive white head . .
So cant explain why not carbed proply or no head at all . Iv put the rest in the warm to see if carbs up . Any idears .

Around end of december i made the @Bigcol49 peroni recipe .
23 litres
3780g Pilsner malt
1260g flaked maize
14g Magnum hops @60 minutes
12g Saaz hops @ 15 minutes
12g Saaz hops at flameout.
90 minute mash but chose to do hochkurz mash at 63C for 70
minutes then 69/70 for 20 minutes
90 minute boil
Yeast: i went with wyeast 2007 bud strain .

Everything went well fermented out and bottled in warm 3 weeks then fridge cold for 3 weeks then left in garrige at 12 since.
I put one in fridge last week tried it yesterday and was bit flat no head at all but nice Taist
Also tried 3 more at room temp What was slightly better .
The beer is fizzy so not flat but not carbed enough its got bubbles rising but no head whats so ever . .
I tried strait after another diffrent pilsner i botted same time and same sugar and that had a massive white head . .
So cant explain why not carbed proply or no head at all . Iv put the rest in the warm to see if carbs up . Any idears .
I think you should have used 3785g of Pilsner Malt 👍

Lol . Na i got it right . Look at page 1 he qwotes its from the ameriacan homebrew forum and says it pritty close .
But it was my first go at all grain and at the time first time on the s40 grain father .
i overshot and ended up at 6 % . I aimed for 23 lts but ended up bout 15 . So that could be my answer .
The pilsner is nice and mild tho you think its 4% but not enough fiss and no white head how ever hard i try .
Iv done 100s larger kits before all grain same batch prime and no probs this is only beer iv had no head apart from belguims that came out at 12% .

Latest posts

Back