Brewing Book Recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further to this post the latest issue of Craft beer and Brewing focussing on IPAs is a really good one (for anyone interested in the latest trends in IPAs obviously).
I've just taken out another annual subscription from within the app for ��£14.99 - a good buy in my opinion, really wish we could subscribe to the printed version over here.

You can subscribe to BYO with free delivery through Acclaim Subscriptions, it is cheaper through an e book but they aren't much cop for referencing, down loaded Kitchen Garden but it isn't the same as turning a page, the only reason I stopped that was because after 3 years it seemed like they were repeating the same topics.

You can subscribe to BYO with free delivery through Acclaim Subscriptions, it is cheaper through an e book but they aren't much cop for referencing, down loaded Kitchen Garden but it isn't the same as turning a page, the only reason I stopped that was because after 3 years it seemed like they were repeating the same topics.

Acclaim look to be US based, do they do free delivery to UK?
BYO do international subscriptions at a cost, but to be honest I think Craft Beer and Brewing is the better magazine.

Yes free delivery, I used to get my BYO mag through the local homebrew shop now i get it through acclaim.I will have to check out the Craft Beer & Brewing mag.

had a wee look for brew your own and got it from a place called magsconnect uk £31.97 for 8 issues delivered all the way to sunny scotland,i like to read off paper rather than online i think its an age thing just seems more right:thumb: cheers lagerlad

I have tons and my favourites are:

Brew your own British Real Ale - A great starter book
Brew like a Monk - Great book about Belgian beers
Farmhouse Ales - Covers Saison and Biere de Garde in great detail
Any of Ron Pattinson's books

On that topic you can get the last 2 years worth of them on Readly, think it's �£7.99 for 2 months trial at the moment, and you can download the magazines for offline reading.

This looks a brilliant idea. I have just had a look at Readly and it seems a hell of a bargain if you buy a lot of magazines. I notice the two brewing magazines mentioned in the thread are on the US Readly site and not the GB one. Before I sign up, any idea if these can be read from a GB account. Also what happens to any downloaded/offline magazines if you cancel a subscription. Are these still readable or have you lost them.

Yes Wrongway, when you cancel the magazines remain in your library, majority of my brewing books are on the kindle but when it comes to a series of magazines they become more difficult to access useful information unless you keep notes of page and edition.

To the OP another book as you get into brewing is 'Water' water chemistry is a lot less daunting than what a lot of people seem to think it is, easy to do and probably one of the best ways of improving your beer.

Thank's for that foxy. I have signed up, it's well worth it and is going to save the family a fortune. I thought the magazines stayed on their servers unless you chose to download for reading on an aircraft for example. I presume it's those that you mean can be read if you cancel subscription. Not sure how you would read them on say an iPad though if you cancelled as access to the app needs login and password.

I found one of the magazines mentioned i this thread. Brew Your Own but the second one, Craft Beer and Brewing I can't find listed. Is it still available via Readly?

Not sure about that one I checked it out after brewdoug recommended it, my garden magazines stay in my library (pocket mag) there may be a way of saving an article for reference making it easy to look up, that is really the only thing that puts me off digital editions.

That makes sense. I have a number of magazines (PCPilot) with Pocketmags and they do stay there. You can buy individual or subscribe but they are always available to you. I don't think it's the same sort of thing with Readly which makes sense I suppose. Much the same as Music with Spotify.

I tend to prefer digital editions now as I have a habit of loosing issues and also hate storing them.

As I am not in control of the TV controller I spend each night reading, the good thing about digitals is no one can borrow them and not return it.:lol:

Couldn't believe my luck when I found this thread - exactly what I was looking for

Birthday coming up soon I wanted to give my wife a list of books to pick one from so I've since given her 4 from this list athumb..

Latest posts

Back