Shaving, what you use and why

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After every shave I rub it down a razorpit sharpener.

I had never heard of this product, looks good.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDmt00yyK1M[/ame]

Sharpen electric razor rotary cutters.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJpofdJSac[/ame]

I only take a scrape when things are getting completely out of hand, but if for some bizarre reason I wanted a permanently smooth fizzog I'd probably rub some Immac on and have done with the whole sorry business.

I've decided that my experiment with the double edged safety razor is not for me. It either takes too long and doesn't give as good a shave as a cartridge razor does or I end up looking like and extra from Friday the 13th (blood everwhere) so it's back to investing in a cartridge razor system.
I realise that it's probably me and my (lack of) shaving technique, but there you go you live and learn

Absolutely no offence intended, but it will be your technique. There is no way on this earth that you'll ever get as good a shave with a cartridge razor as opposed to a double edge. If you're ending up with lots of blood then you're almost certainly applying too much pressure on the razor. You shouldn't be applying ANY pressure - let the weight of the razor do the work. Once you get the hang of it, it's unbeatable - both in terms of cost and quality of shave.

Scarily I'm now getting adverts for shaving gear whilst I'm reading this thread.

2017-10-17 11_24_27-Shaving, what you use and why - Page 5 - The HomeBrew Forum.png

I got 100 Polsilver Iridium double edge blades for around £8. Will probably last me a couple of years.

Not heard of them before, but they seem to be for safety razors rather than cartridge?

I'm tempted by a proper safety razor, but strongly suspect I'd end up looking like Freddy Kruger had taken a dislike to me. They also strike me as being more hassle than cartridges.

I'm tempted by a proper safety razor, but strongly suspect I'd end up looking like Freddy Kruger had taken a dislike to me. They also strike me as being more hassle than cartridges.

Its definitely not any more hassle. As long as you remember you are shaving rather than cutting the grass you won't go far wrong.

Absolutely no offence intended, but it will be your technique. There is no way on this earth that you'll ever get as good a shave with a cartridge razor as opposed to a double edge. If you're ending up with lots of blood then you're almost certainly applying too much pressure on the razor. You shouldn't be applying ANY pressure - let the weight of the razor do the work. Once you get the hang of it, it's unbeatable - both in terms of cost and quality of shave.

Yep it's definitely my technique and the fact that I've used cartridge razors for years. I didn't think that I was applying too much pressure, but I must have been. I'll just go back to the cartridge system primarily for convenience.

Back