Fermentation question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlewarl

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a brew in the fermenter, the airlock bubbled vigorously for 3 or 4 days, and then it quietened down, after about a week I assumed the fermentation was finished. I then went away for 10 days and when I came back (2 days ago) it was bubbling away again.

Does anyone know why it would have started fermenting again? Or perhaps it never stopped fermenting, but why such a long fermentation? It's 2.5 weeks now....

Cheers

Hi All

I have a brew in the fermenter, the airlock bubbled vigorously for 3 or 4 days, and then it quietened down, after about a week I assumed the fermentation was finished. I then went away for 10 days and when I came back (2 days ago) it was bubbling away again.

Does anyone know why it would have started fermenting again? Or perhaps it never stopped fermenting, but why such a long fermentation? It's 2.5 weeks now....

Cheers
Got a coopers stout in the FV now for 22 days,started off like a train slowed down after a week with the bubbler and has since speeded back up,what you need to remember is that if the airlock is still bubbling it'll be in a sterile environment, so chill don't try and rush it,I'm not concerned with mine

Okay thanks. It's the first time this has happened after about 8 brews so thought I'd ask the question.

Cheers

Yeast sometimes like a little break! There are some strains that stop for a week or two and then start off again. Patience is key. I never even consider checking the gravity of a beer until it has been going for 3-4 weeks. I've even had some go 8 weeks until fully finished.

Also, once you hit the target FG there's no harm in letting it sit for another 7 days to let the yeast clean up after themselves. That famous 'home brew twang' is often there because too many people don't do this!

Yes I have a hydrometer, thanks for the handy hint though :thumb: Obviously I don't particularly want to unnecessarily open the FV to take a reading.

As I say, every brew I've done up until now has finished fermenting within two weeks, so just thought I'd ask the question. I was worried about possible infection but didn't know if that could cause gas creation. My mind has been put at rest though thanks all.

Yes I have a hydrometer, thanks for the handy hint though :thumb: Obviously I don't particularly want to unnecessarily open the FV to take a reading.

As I say, every brew I've done up until now has finished fermenting within two weeks, so just thought I'd ask the question. I was worried about possible infection but didn't know if that could cause gas creation. My mind has been put at rest though thanks all.
Part of managing your brew is that you have to take the lid off from time to time. You just have to keep interventions down to as few as practicable, keep them short, and ensure that anything that goes in the beer is sanitised. If you do that, and you have followed all the other basic rules about keeping kit clean, fresh and sanitised before use, you will be very unlucky to get an infection, although that is not to say it's impossible to get one.

get a turkey baster or big syringe to draw out samples for gravity tests, you have the added bonus of drinking the sample too which provides insight to the brews progress..

Turkey baster - what a great idea, I'd never thought of that. I'd always lifted my FV out of its heated water bath to get to the bottom tap and draw off a sample, which was a right pain (and messy). Cheers Fil!

I took a sg reading about a week ago, it was at 1.014. Airlock has been bubbling all week and today it's still at 1.014. Tastes alright so I'll bottle this weekend.

Back