CRossmyloof saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuizner

Janitor
Reaction score
Made a saison a month ago and have had my first stuck ferment at 1020 ( starting at 1058). Left it at room temp without increasing temp for 2 weeks. Gravity 1020. Pitched another cml saison. Nothing. Raised temp to 28. Nothing. Added sparkling yeast a couple of days ago and raised temp again. No yeast activity. I guess nothing more to do and that i should have raised the temp initially? Tastes good mind....

Is that stuck with the CML saison yeast? I’ve not had any sign of that when I tried it for the first time a few months ago. Are you sure it’s stuck and you had a different SG and your FG is higher than you expected?

Update : I only say that as the Saison I made with it is as dry as a bone so it ferments like a beauty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep swirled it a few times when i added anything new.

All my other cml yeasts have exploded into action so was surprised.

Sg was higher than intended but i would expect it to still get lower than 1020

As the wine yeast hasnt seemed to do much i expect there is no fermentable remaining but as a noob what the f do i know?

Was it a kit? Or Ag? That might be all that’s left for fermentables. That and your hydrometer might be out of wack.

was ag. Used my shiny new mash tun and recirced on herms as a stepped mash. Hydrometer is ok. I think i am out of fermentables but now i wnat to find out why... soem reading required.

Might be worth double checking that your hydrometer is taking an accurate, would explain a lot if not. Try dropping it in water at roughly 20c and see how close to 1.000 it is reading

was ag. Used my shiny new mash tun and recirced on herms as a stepped mash. Hydrometer is ok. I think i am out of fermentables but now i wnat to find out why... soem reading required.

It’s your temps. When you use HERMS the temps can fluctuate a bit. It’s probably where you’re measuring your wort temp is where the problem is. You’re probably a few degrees higher than you think.

If you want to get the gravity down you could chuck in some Belle Saison yeast. That will take anything down to 1.006 or lower. It's a monster.

After trying all above ( 2 lots of cml yeast, 1 sparkling wine, yeast nutrient) Ended up bottling at 1020.... will report back

How was the krausen Tuizner? I ask as currently trying the CML Saison De Lille myself at the moment, and the Krausen is barely 2cm deep! It's a big FV (30 litre Love Brewing one) for sure, but I'm used to really deep Krausens for other styles. My first AG though too, so just wondering.

Latest posts

Back