One for Gunge.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Global warming my ****! :wink:

_98297461_adeliereuters.jpg

Penguins die in 'catastrophic' Antarctic breeding season

All but two Adelie penguin chicks have starved to death in their east Antarctic colony, in a breeding season described as "catastrophic" by experts.

It was caused by unusually high amounts of ice late in the season, meaning adults had to travel further for food.

It is the second bad season in five years after no chicks survived in 2015.

Conservation groups are calling for urgent action on a new marine protection area in the east Antarctic to protect the colony of about 36,000.

WWF says a ban on krill fishing in the area would eliminate their competition and help to secure the survival of Antarctic species, including the Adelie penguins.

WWF have been supporting research with French scientists in the region monitoring penguin numbers since 2010.

The protection proposal will be discussed at a meeting on Monday of the Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR).

The Commission is made up of the 25 members and the European Union.

Adelie penguin breeding habits

Adelie penguins are the most southerly breeding bird in the world.

They are found along the Antarctic coast, and breed from October to February

They typically lay two eggs in nests made of stones, and parents take turns to incubate the eggs

Breeding adults may have to travel up to 30-75 miles (50-120 km) to catch food to then regurgitate for their chicks

"This devastating event contrasts with the image that many people might have of penguins," Rod Downie, Head of Polar Programmes at WWF, said.

"The risk of opening up this area to exploratory krill fisheries, which would compete with the Adelie penguins for food as they recover from two catastrophic breeding failures in four years, is unthinkable.

"So CCAMLR needs to act now by adopting a new Marine Protected Area for the waters off east Antarctica, to protect the home of the penguins."

BBC.

_98297459_penguinbbc.jpg

When it's warmer than it should be, that's global warming.

I believe we are in for a bit of global warming on Monday they are predicting 25c.

I believe we are in for a bit of global warming on Monday they are predicting 25c.

... followed by a terrible storm, Ophelia, caused by global warming.... Wonder if the one Mick Fish failed to predict exactly 30 years to the day on Monday had the same cause? These people need locking up.

We had 200mm of rain in 8 hours last week and we already have yellow warnings for Monday and Tuesday next week i think i might start to build my Ark :lol:

We had 200mm of rain in 8 hours last week and we already have yellow warnings for Monday and Tuesday next week i think i might start to build my Ark :lol:

We rarely get anything interesting around here. But we did well at the end of 2009... -8C in the afternoon in full sun and with a solid 4 feet of lying snow. The upcoming 'storm' will blow a few empty crisp packets around, at best.

It's called weather! It's been happening all over the world for millions of years. Because all these experts haven't yet survived through full cycles of these weather patterns that may span hundreds if not thousands of years and most are not in anyone's living memory they brand anything a bit excessive a major event...
Take the UK. ..it's northern parts ie Scotland are still in the recession of the last ice age from 10000 years ago...the wildlife,vegetation,landscape and climate are hugely different from southern Britain.

It's called chaos theory. The atmosphere is one big non-linear system. One of the main observations in calculating non-linear systems, is that when there remains more energy in the system, the oscillation frequency and amplitudes change. In the atmosphere this leads to more variances in the weather, and at the same time in some places warmer weather, and in other places colder weather. More chaos ensues.

It's called chaos theory.

Sounds a whole lot better than the greenhouse theory! Makes me laugh ( for the wrong reasons ) when yet another BBC type says it's the wettest / hottest / driest / windiest / coldest etc evah, in time scales which amount to zero in the grand scheme of things. And all cos of an alleged increase of atmospheric CO2 measured in a few ppm but we can fix all that ( all what?? ) with taxes and trade deals and CO2 rationing blah blah. It's all utter cobblers of the very highest magnitude. I can scarcely believe how they have, so far, gotten away with it. Shows how dense or just not bothered some folk are. There's nothing wrong with reducing general pollution but this CO2 malarkey ain't got a damn thing to do with any of that.

Sounds a whole lot better than the greenhouse theory! Makes me laugh ( for the wrong reasons ) when yet another BBC type says it's the wettest / hottest / driest / windiest / coldest etc evah, in time scales which amount to zero in the grand scheme of things. And all cos of an alleged increase of atmospheric CO2 measured in a few ppm but we can fix all that ( all what?? ) with taxes and trade deals and CO2 rationing blah blah. It's all utter cobblers of the very highest magnitude. I can scarcely believe how they have, so far, gotten away with it. Shows how dense or just not bothered some folk are. There's nothing wrong with reducing general pollution but this CO2 malarkey ain't got a damn thing to do with any of that.

Hmmm, I reckon I'll pay more attention to those actually qualified and knowledgeable in the field over those just giving their un-educated opinion I reckon. :thumb: You're right though, it does indeed show how dense or not bothered some folk are when they favour anecdote and opinion over research based evidence. :whistle:

Hmmm, I reckon I'll pay more attention to those actually qualified and knowledgeable in the field over those just giving their un-educated opinion I reckon. :thumb: You're right though, it does indeed show how dense or not bothered some folk are when they favour anecdote and opinion over research based evidence. :whistle:

There's a lot more who are 'qualified' in the pseudo-science of climate change who are refused a platform to say their piece. Wonder why that is? And when, and if the 'climate crisis' is defeated, who will be qualified to declare it so?

Wasn't the "head" of the climate change lot an ex bus driver or something with a non relevant degree who happened to get the job?
And I do agree that anyone opposing the cli ate change thing is silenced...

Wasn't the "head" of the climate change lot an ex bus driver or something with a non relevant degree who happened to get the job?
And I do agree that anyone opposing the cli ate change thing is silenced...

Dunno about bus driver. Maybe you're thinking of panto villain look-alike Rajendra Pachauri who was a railway engineer or summat like that. Don't know who's running the IPCC now, I can't bring myself to be exposed to any more of their nonsense. Shouldn't we all be under water long before now or living in a desert ( take your pick )?

My! All these Atlantic hurricanes this year - the global warming mob would dearly love to make you believe that they've been right all along. 10 hurricanes making landfall is unprecedented, right? I've just done a bit of research and that record was set in 1878, then equalled in 1893... and again in 2017. Funny how the first two title-holders occurred in a time which, we are told, was much cooler than it is today because of global warming. The Great Deception continues...

Latest posts

Back