Festival Kits dry Hopping query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemc

Reaction score
I was in my LHBS the other day wanting a kit that was very hoppy. They suggested the Festival Razor back IPA. I have done a few of the festival kits and all have been good.

Anyway while discussing the best kit for the style I wanted the shop guy suggested that for a hoppier beer, instead f dry hopping for 5 days as the kit instructions state, its better to dry hop for 24 hours his theory being you get more hop flavour and aroma and less bitterness.

This seems counter intuitive to me, as there is less time for the hops to impart their flavour to the brew. I would be interested in people's thoughts or experiences of this. It's currently fermenting vigorously but in my experience will need longer than the instructions say to ferment, so do dry hop as usual or
will a 24 hour dry hop give me more hop flavour and aroma?

Doesn't sound right to me but I've never tried such a short time, might surprise us all.

The New Zealand Pilsner is fabulously hoppy.

I assume you are looking for hop flavour not bitterness.
Dry hopping is supposed to be about adding aroma and some flavour from the hops. Bitterness primarily comes from boiling the hops, and has little to do with dry hopping. Hop flavour is supposed to mainly come from late additions to the boil and perhaps the allowing the boil to cool, or if you are doing a kit maybe a hop tea which is simply a steep of hops in off the boil water.
So you are correct in thinking that leaving the hops in longer from a dry hop will increase the uptake of aroma and flavour. But if you want to get get the best of both worlds make up a hop tea, allow to cool and then chuck the lot in. And leave the hops in there for 5-7 days for best uptake, although some will say longer is OK. And my experience of making up hop teas in this way is that you need to allow about 100ml water for every 10g hop pellets for the hops to be mobile enough to move about. Too little water and it's like hop porridge, too much and you dilute your brew .

I was in my LHBS the other day wanting a kit that was very hoppy. They suggested the Festival Razor back IPA. I have done a few of the festival kits and all have been good.

Anyway while discussing the best kit for the style I wanted the shop guy suggested that for a hoppier beer, instead f dry hopping for 5 days as the kit instructions state, its better to dry hop for 24 hours his theory being you get more hop flavour and aroma and less bitterness.

This seems counter intuitive to me, as there is less time for the hops to impart their flavour to the brew. I would be interested in people's thoughts or experiences of this. It's currently fermenting vigorously but in my experience will need longer than the instructions say to ferment, so do dry hop as usual or
will a 24 hour dry hop give me more hop flavour and aroma?
Ask to taste one of his hoppy beers?
I always dry hop for 3-5 days ,I don't think I could get the hops to drop to the bottom of my fermenter in 24 hrs!

as always,IF you can allow the hops to fly free in the FV that's the way to go otherwise they will clump together and not allow them to mix enough with the wort:thumb:

I think I'll give the hop tea a go. I cant see a 24 hour dry hop doing much.

Latest posts

Back