Lactose in Milk Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveng

Reaction score
I'm about to start brewing a milk stout (BIAB) in a couple of days and am just wondering, what are your thoughts about when to add the lactose? I've seen some conflicting opinions online about this.

Thanks,

Steven

Ah, that's good to know. I was veering towards a suggestion of adding it 15 minutes from the end of boil but if it doesn't matter I'll not stress about it!

Same here...once though! As you know my brain only works after I done anything!
Forgot I added to the boil and desolved more just befor bottling but it’s was bloody lush!
That was the time I found out the lastoce final readings went to 1.20 every time...forgot why lol
Bri

This has just made me realise I’m meant to be brewing a milk stout next week and I forgot to include lactose in my last order. Do any high street shops sell it?

I've never even tried a milk stout. Can anyone recommend a good one commercially available in the UK?

Guinness do one that I seem to recall is quite good, although I'm no expert on Milk Stout. I only tried it because I made one a while back with DME and some steeped grains and I tried that Guinness one to compare. I thought mine was better tbh :lol:

I've never even tried a milk stout. Can anyone recommend a good one commercially available in the UK?
Mackeson has been around for years, think it dates back to 1907 when it was brewed at the Mackeson Brewery in Hythe, Kent but I think they got bought out by Whitbreads in 1929. I think the Hythe Brewery finished in 1968. I'm not sure who brews it now but it is still available to buy in most supermarkets.There is also a good recipe for it in Clone Brews page 270.

Thanks all. I may try one of each suggested, just to make sure I give the style a fair shot. All in the name of science, you understand!

Bristol Beer Factory Milk Stout is one of my favourite stouts, although I'm not sure how readily available it is outside of the Euston Tap or Bristol.

I add lactose either at the beginning of the boil or 10-15 mins towards the end, it doesn't really make a difference.

On a side note, when buying lactose from a HBS, does anyone know if it's actually distilled from cows' milk or is it made in a lab?

Latest posts

Back