Norfolk Police could axe all PCSOs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So it may be the end of the line for the so called "Plastic Policemen" having read what they are not allowed to do (below) and as they costs only slightly more than an average police constable it makes me wonder why their roll was invented in the first place.

A police force could be the first to axe all of its community support officers amid falling budgets and an "unparalleled growth in complex crime".
Norfolk Constabulary will scrap 150 PCSOs if its proposals are approved.
Chief Constable Simon Bailey said "an average police constable" costs only slightly more to employ and would be more useful in "high risk, high harm" cases.
Unison official Caren Reeves said it was "a life-altering day" for Norfolk.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-41678177

A thinning blue line?
PCSOs were first introduced in England and Wales in 2002 to tackle the fear of crime and provide back-up to forces.
They do not have powers of arrest, cannot interview prisoners or carry out the high-risk tasks of police officers.
They can give someone a fixed-penalty notice, for instance for littering, demand the name and address of someone accused of being anti-social, and take alcohol off a person aged under 18.
They can also provide support at special events, direct traffic and make house-to-house inquires.
Some critics of the role have previously described them as "plastic policemen" because they do not have as many powers as PCs.
The number of PCSOs in England and Wales has been in decline since 2010, when there were 16,918.
By March 2017 there were 10,213.

_98379269_pcso_976.jpg

I thought the idea when they were brought in was that they were considerably cheaper than a PC or to WPC, so it was a way to increase numbers of visible "officers". I have always thought it was a waste of resources and would prefer more warranted officers, if it's'true they only cost £1800 less than a real police officer then I'd say its a no brainer to get rid of them and replace with slightly less real police officers who can actually arrest people.

I didn’t realise how “powerless” they actually were. They certainly don’t seem good value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hobby bobbies. Might get arrested for my comment. Not by a PCSO, though.

I know where I live they are trying to get more Special Constables who I believe don't get paid at all. Think that makes more sense if there are people out there who are willing!

I agree if they are good enough to be plastic police they should be allowed to train to be proper police.

they should look to provide the pcso’s with the further training required to “upgrade” them to full officers

What, and have even more bobbies hiding in bushes with speed guns? Report a real crime today and if they can be arsed to investigate you might get a 'crime number' to add to your collection.

I think that all the forces should be looked at very closely. I fail to see how a policeman can take a career break for a year or more(plenty do) and just waltz back into the job!!!!b####y mental.

Latest posts

Back