Lidl jam maker question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just seen this in lidl at £49.99.Ive had a quick Google and just saw a few ideas about using it as a boiler but I was wondering if anyone has tried it as a fermentation vessel?

That's gone up a fair bit in recent years. I think that I got mine for about £25 quid.

I use it as a sparge water heater.

The body, on mine at least, is made of enamelled steel so I'm not sure I'd want anything acidic in it for long periods.

Why would you want to use it as a fermenter, as opposed to a plastic bucket?

The heating element is on/off with the thermostat, if you're thinking of using it to maintain the heat... And not massively accurate/sensitive, either. If it's just a container you're looking for: plastic bucket fermenter.

Makes a reasonable boiler, though mine blew it's element after 10 or 15 brews. Works great with a peco/kettle element.

What volume does this hold?

28 litres to the brim, I believe, so it will do a 23l/5 gallon batch at a push, but with that much liquid in it, the 1.8kw element struggles to boil - you need the lid mostly on. 3-4gallons is better, and less chance of a boilover. Not that that's ever happened to me :whistle::doh:

I thought the temperature could be controlled and set at 20 degrees and left anywhere in the house rather than in fermentation fridge.
The trouble is that it will just switch the element underneath on, then off again once the temperature is up - would you ferment in a stockpot on an electric hob set to 20*C? That's what you're effectively doing...:nah:

Latest posts

Back