Ampthull Brewhouse "raw" grain flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Ampthill Brewhouse's session ale, which is described on Ratebeer as having, among other things, a raw grain flavour. It's a taste I've only encountered in the first home brew I made on a course (don't know what grain it was), and also Late Knights' session beer. Some of the Badger ones are also similar. It's definitely grainy but also nutty, ginger and not overly malty. The ingredients are listed as malted barley, yeast and whole cone hops; it's not the hops giving this woody flavour is it?

If anyone's interested, I did email the brewery. Here's what they said:

It's a very simple pale ale recipe really. We use an ordinary pale ale malt only (from Bairds), to a standard crush and typical sparging temperature.

The hops are First Gold as the bittering hop and Goldings as the aroma hop at the end of the boil. Yeast is Safeale SO4 or equivalent. Other than that of course, you could get two breweries using the same ingredients and recipe and still get slightly different flavours from it, due to the different brewing equipment and brewers!!

The reason they mentioned the standard crush and sparge is that I'd read that this grainy taste can be an off flavour caused by too-fine milling or too-hot sparging. So, it seems the secret isn't in their malt or what they've done with it. Anyone got any ideas how to get such a flavour, or tasted some other examples?

Well if its in the mash, seems like you have found a brew project for yourself, Thanks to the brewery you have a pretty good starting basis, So get the first mash on @66.7C for 90 mins, taste, and refine for the next test.. It your after speedy results you may want to g0 small 5-10l volume test batches, but you will risk 'loosing the knack' stepping back up?? Buy the grain as fresh as you can and make notes of all aspects of the test brews for analysis with the taste test results.

its the mash and sparge temps and mash consistency, and perhaps even the water profile too that you can play with.. tho if your water brews good beer i would leave that well alone to start with.. a warmer shorter mash and an enzyme denaturing sparge could provide a liquor with more long complex sugars that will resist yeast consumption and leave a higher FG and malt content?? so perhaps get a short warm mash on to see if it contains any hnt of the flavours you want to replicate?

have fun with it..

Latest posts

Back