does this look right????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poacher

Reaction score
just started first ever kit of lager, it said on tin leave in bin for one week or when it has stopped frothy bubbles on top, so first question is...
1, does this photo look ok as not sure what the brown stuff is on top.
2, do I leave it in bin till primary fermentation has stopped.
3, will it still be ok if I added to much water to the mix at the start,
cheers x

22810352_533768603635660_1147436587_o.jpg

Leave it til it finishes. ..at least 2 weeks then check with a hydrometer.
If you added too much water at the start it will mean you will get more but weaker beer.

just started first ever kit of lager, it said on tin leave in bin for one week or when it has stopped frothy bubbles on top, so first question is...
1, does this photo look ok as not sure what the brown stuff is on top.
2, do I leave it in bin till primary fermentation has stopped.
3, will it still be ok if I added to much water to the mix at the start,
cheers x

1) What photo? Brown stuff on top is probably the krausen (yeast hard at work). [edit1] Yup, looks like the krausen.
2) The photo would have helped here, you don't literally mean a bin right? I ask, as recently found out that my dad tried to brew a beer kit many years ago, in a bin.... [edit2]Phew, not a literal bin, a fermenting bucket... lol Yes, leave it until SG has reached the expected range and not changed over 2-3 days
3) Yes, it'll just be weaker with a lower %ABV (as in, may taste watery and weak). I added a bit too much water a couple of times though, and still ended up with beer stronger than the box reckoned.....:lol:

Last edited:
I've just put photo on ... x

Yeah, it appeared after I'd already posted, so edited my post. :lol:

Seriously though, my dad really did try to brew beer in an old style black dustbin one time..... Then wondered why it turned bad and stank their house out.... :lol:

We didn't have a bucket big enough to take 40 pints so I've split it into my 2 wine buckets ... I always work on the theory... it's got 2 chances ... x

I can thoroughly recommend the buckets from Lovebrewing! They're proper 30 litre buckets (handy when you have a run away krausen....), with the option of a tap and airlock. Lids go on lovely and tight, and bucket feels well made. :thumb: Even my Youngs AIPA krausen didn't escape from one. :twisted: One day soon I'll put one to the ultimate test, a wheat beer. :twisted:

Anyway, welcome to making beer. I only started in August (beer that is) myself, and have done 7 kits and am now having a go at BIAB AG.....:doh:

But the brown stuff is ok x

Yes, pretty sure it's what they call the krausen. Basically the yeast reproduces like mad and gets suspended in a foamy mess. It'll sink eventually, and go to forming the yeast cake/trub as they call it. Then you have the fun one day of getting your beer out whilst leaving this behind, you know that one though from making wine.... :lol:

If you are really interested in brewing beer Poacher, I recommend the books forum for tips on good books. I found the Greg Hughes book most useful, not least as it teaches you what the various brewing terms actually mean in plain English. :lol: Until I read this I found this forum VERY had work, as I didn't understand a lot of the words used.... :lol:

Latest posts

Back