mash temp gauge help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
On a whim, or drunk at the PC again call it what you like :cool: I bought this

IMG_9601.jpg

back view, with sleeve undone

IMG_9603.jpg

My mash tun is a converted thermos tea earn, twin wall, insulated innards.
Any thoughts on the best way to attach it :pray:

I would try this.
Drill a hole all the way through, fit a grommet small enough for the tip of your "holder" to fit in the inside. then drill out the outside large enough to screw in the "holder".
So small hole with grommet on inside, larger hole to take the screw on the outside/through the insulation. Then fit it using a couple of nuts (if possible) to hold it in place.

Cheers HB, there's a place not to far away that makes custom nuts and bolt. Will see if I can get some brass or SS nuts on Monday

Sean :drink:

Sean
I like this temp probe did you get it to work ok and where did you buy this
Regards
Brian T

Not got around to it yet mate, being a bit of a chicken about taking the drill to my shiny tun :oops:

Got it from HERE

Hi Sean
Many thanks for the link i will place an order with them and as they say "go for it"
Thanks again
Brian T

How big is this thermos 'tea earn' and where did you get it from ? is it stainless on inside ?

craigevo its 5gallons and an Ebay bargain, Its seems quite old, probably old catering equipment, but stainless and works okay

Hi there i have just fitted the exact same thermometer to my boiler.
The thread on the pocket is long enough (on my keg anyway) to show thread at both sides.
fit the nut from a tank connector on first with a washer, poke through your hole (20.4mm Qmax Cutter) then fit another washer and finally another tank connector nut.
works perfect see pics
Outside
IMG_4590.jpg

Inside
IMG_4591.jpg

Simple eh!

polymoog said:
Hi there i have just fitted the exact same thermometer to my boiler.
The thread on the pocket is long enough (on my keg anyway) to show thread at both sides.
fit the nut from a tank connector on first with a washer, poke through your hole (20.4mm Qmax Cutter) then fit another washer and finally another
Simple eh!

But the OP said his was a double walled one so it probably will not :wha:

Think your both right. :cool:

I've ordered a 20.4mm qmax, needed to order one anyway for when I get my 50ltr tun.
The outer skin will be larger, but will tickle the outer tank connector nut with an angle grinder.

Hopefully post the results at the weekend

Thanks Guys :thumb:

Latest posts

Back