syphon tubes and transfer tubes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubthumper

Regular.
Reaction score
how to do you get the inside of the tubes dry after washing?
or do you leave them in a solution to keep them fresh ?
its been bugging me now for about a year as they allways have dried water marks on the inside and I am fed up of buying new tubes everytime I want to transfer from keg to keg :x

tubthumper said:
its been bugging me now for about a year as they allways have dried water marks on the inside and I am fed up of buying new tubes everytime I want to transfer from keg to keg :x
Rinse through with distilled water after cleaning . . . can't get drying marks as there is nothing to leave behind in distilled water. . . . Important tip I learned when developing my own Black and White films and prints. . . . final rinse before drying was always with distilled water . . . mixed with ethanol to speed up the drying phase . . . no residue left on the film . . . much easier job printing and spotting the enlargements

I spin mine around like a lasso to remove any wetness.
lasso.gif

I hang mine up in the middle after flushing out and let it drip dry then sterilize immediately before its next use. It has never caused any problems...in fact-touch wood- I have never had a brew spoil. I wonder sometimes whether the cleanliness can get a bit obsessive sometimes. Reasonable precautions and making sure you clean up any spillage is the trick I reckon, but I don't brew beer mind....

Porky

Snort!

A combination of the above - flushed through immediately after use, I've usually got a bucket of sterilising solution mixed for total immersion of bottles, so the tube will go back into the bucket for a while, flushed through again, whirled around my head and hung by the middle.

10p a foot from my LHBS, they usually have them pre-cut at 50p for 5ft, so I've probably got 3 in use at any time and they are replaced regularly.

So do I, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Winemaking or brewing represents an investment in time and money, so I'm not going to risk that by shoddy hygiene.

I use a combination of the above

flush and into washing soda solution then steriliser after use - if its a dry day I will lasso outside as well, although I don't have the funny hat or boots :roll:

Hang up to dry by the middle, never an issue so far, but also have about 2 or 3 lengths at anyone time.. :thumb:

apon close examination of the one I used to transfer from a leaking keg to another on I found it had a gray mould like colour inside.
I am goning to have to drink 19lrts really quickly before the mold has a chance to get a hold in the corney.
as I dont have the heart to throw away all that stout

tube now in bin

i did run iodine through it before I used it at quite a strong strength so I hope that has saved it .

Back