New Containers - Bad Smells

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jahutchi

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased some large containers from ebay - good price and good quality.

I was hoping to use these for my homebrew set-up. The advert did warn that the containers had been used for transporting garlic based food products from around Europe. I figured that it would be no major issue. :shock:

So far I have:
Aired them for quite a while
Tried detergents and sterilising solutions
Tried Bicarbonate of Soda (paste plastered all over them)
Tried Soaking them for long periods
and they still smell of garlic :oops: - I'm worried that this will taint anything that is put inside them. Someone has suggested using Citric Acid, I'm yet to try that.
Does anyone here have any suggestions or should I just use them as water butts and go back to the drawing board.

paint a cross on each one put a stake through them and put them back on EBay - Transylvania :oops: sorry :oops:

Mrs C suggests putting half a lemon in a dishcloth and then rub the cut side and bicarb round the container :idea:

What do you intend to use them for? A friend of mine (posts here as bigstoo) used to use a couple of those for HLT and boiler. After a good clean, soak in water etc etc they still smelt garlicky. However the taste didn't come through in the beer. Maybe try a small brew using them and see how it turns out. If you are using them for FVs you could always try making a garlic beer ;)

Personally I wouldn't use them for a boiler having seen the effects of sustained heat though. Stu never had any disasters before he retired the boiler but it did bow a bit and looked pretty alarming to me. It is a lot of hot sugary liquid to spill on yourself. Use as an HLT (up to mid 80s) doesn't seem to cause the same problems and I believe he still uses one as an HLT.

Back