Brew bin/hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimrod

Reaction score
Hi guys

total newbie here so go easy on me!

Really enjoy my ales, short of cash and always fancied homebrewing, so my dad gave me a set of brewing equipment for xmas. Have been short on time since then as have switched jobs a few times but now looking to fully get involved!

I have a Woodfordes Wherry kit which I'm going to try first, see how that goes.

Basically my question is this - I have this brew bin that was included in the kit, but there is no hole on the top for the ferment lock, and there is no ferment lock in the kit - the only accounts I have read have all included these so should I be worried? Will I need to get some more kit?

Secondly, the hydrometer broke in transit so need another one! Anyone got any good value recommendations?

Cheers! :cheers:

you don't need an air lock with a brew bin they are not air tight even with lid snapped down.

Just put lid on the top and seal one side down.

Hydrometer is pretty important but don't let it stop you getting started brew anyway, and just leave it ten days. Then bottle or barrel. Cheapest is 2l fizzy bottles. though you will have to watch the sediment when you pour.

Wilkos sell hydrometers I believe, I smashed my favourite last week :eek: :( :evil:

Good advice there. No need to worry about an airlock.

I'd recommend getting 2 hydrometers as they are fairly easy to break. Postage means that Wilkos or local homebrew shops are likely to be cheaper for hydrometers than buying online.

Hi nimrod, and welcome to the forum :cheers:

You don't say where you are, but if you've got a homebrew shop or a local branch of Wilkinson's, hydrometers should only be around £3.

When you mix up your Wherry, make sure to beat plenty of air into it, whip it to a froth until your arm hurts.

Latest posts

Back