Solar pump?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz11

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tonbridge,Kent. Brewing at the Rockin Robin Brewer
Hi all,

does anyone use one of these pumps http://shop.solarproject.co.uk/Solar-Pr ... s-c-2.html for cooling wort?

I am wondering if it would be powerful enough to pump water from one water butt through some garden hose then an immersion cooler and back into a second water butt? Making sure no drips can contaminate the wort, naturally!

If it would be suitable are they easy enough to wire up and able to be attached to a length of garden hose?

Many thanks!

Lots of guys on Jims using them, there is a big thread about them and they seem to be doing a good job for many.

Apparently there are 3 different powered models.

Most are running them on variable voltage power supplies from Maplin - they are using the variation in power to create different flow rates.
Seem easy enough to wire up and couple up.

I'm considering getting one myself to be able to recirculate my mash prior to sparging and for transferring wort to the boiler.

Hope that is of help to you :D

I use one to circulate my mash wort through my coil in my HLT to raise the mash temp.
Great little pump and I have thought to use it to cilculate cold water from a but through the cooling coil in boiler. I doubt the pump could handle much of a head differential of over a few inches though.

I use a pump I scavanged fro an old combi boiler you can get them for a £35 new boiler pump and that does for me 240v so no messing with transformers and is heavy enough not to need scewing down and if your doing from a water butt you just need washing machine coanectors to run from the pump and you can put the conectors on to the ic no probs

I am thinking of getting one of the solar pumps to run the mash through a coil as suggested by craigite

tubthumper said:
I use a pump I scavanged fro an old combi boiler you can get them for a £35 new boiler pump and that does for me 240v so no messing with transformers and is heavy enough not to need scewing down and if your doing from a water butt you just need washing machine coanectors to run from the pump and you can put the conectors on to the ic no probs

This sounds like the way forward, many thanks for that.

Does anyone know if garden hose (the normal green stuff!) has a limit on the temperature of water it is able to safely deal with? Just thinking that the water exiting the IC at the start of cooling is pretty hot, and I don't want any accidents!

Thanks

I just use washing machine hoses they got the fitting and the red one is ment for the hot water comming from the boiler in your house, it goes a little soft but nothing to worry about it comes out the ic at about 10 to 20 deg below the wort temp so at 90 its gonna come out about 70-80C and those hoses should have no probs with that.
the only prob with the central heating pump is getting the air out of the pump before it pumps properly so will do a post when I get a chance on how to get it to work and all the bits I use.

I agree that washing machine hoses are a safer bet, but if my idea is going to work I need something longer as the water butts are way down the garden away from the brewing area. I may have to abandon the idea but I just don't like wasting water. Even after storing the water for cleaning and topping up the water butts, on the flowers etc, there was still a large amount straight down the drain...hmm :wha: !

if you get a washing machine hose and cut off the hose use the conectors and jubilie clips to hold them on to your garden hose for the cold in make sure you have a filer of some sort though as allsorts of stuff lives in water butts

the hot I would get the longest washing machine hose you can and get that conected to your garden hose to other butt as it should have cooled a little as it gets to the garden hose .
and use the crush resistant garden hose from the hot side

Sounds like a plan. I was thinking of filtering it so as not to cause problems for the pump, but I'm gonna make darn sure nothing from the proposed cooling system can come into contact with the wort.
Now to get the stuff, give it to a neighbour who's handy at making things, and tell him what I'm after....me, I'm blooming useless at making things! :grin:

I think the pumps can be driven from solar panels, if you are that way inclined.

the pumps are designed to run on solar enegergy to pump the hot water round from the solar water heaters.

you dont need to get e neighbour to make it for you its just conecting things up if you can work out how to get a hose conected from brand new to attaching to your taps then you can do this.

Latest posts

Back