bench/worktop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1964

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone got any ideas on how or what to use to build a 10 foot long by 3 foot wide table or bench in our shed to stand our equipment on it must be strong. We have thought about it for a while but apart from buying a stainless steel bench or building from 2x2 wood just cant think of any clever ways of doing it the cheaper the better. :D

My wooden bench tops are showing signs of swelling with being in contact with water so often.

So my plan is to replace them with moisture resistant woodchip flooring from Wickes. Easy to cut, 60cm width and easy to join up.
If I get around to it I might even router a bullnose pine breadboard edge

B & Q do work tops 10ft or 3m long for around £30-40. It's a smooth surface that wipes clean build something to sit it on or brackets on the wall and some legs?

If i screwed some 2x2 to my rather thin shed wall then got an 8 foot worktop and fixed the worktop to the 2x2 with more screws then just put some 2x2 legs on i think that would work thanks for the tips :thumb:

get some cheap units from ikea to satnd it on and you got storage too, also you dont have to screw it to the shed as the weight will hold it down , the cupboards eassily hold a fermenting bucket , think I can fit the 60lrt one in mine.
you dont have to put doors on them if you dont want to but if you do then you got ferminting cupboard in there too if you put a heater in it or even put a fridge under it as well for a lager fermenting or kegorator, possibilitys are endless

Units would support it evenly or use attach a simple ladder frame made from 2x2, then attach the legs to the frame...excuse me artwork, but like below

pic.jpg

Uni strut works is very strong and can be bolted together into what ever configuration you want. I put my brewery on it cost me about £120
oh and I have quite a bit left over , but that will get used soon as i need to make a few adjustments.

brewery.jpg

UP

If you have any contact with a kitchen fitter you might be lucky and get some old units that are being replaced :!:

When we had our kitchen done I got all the old units and re used them in the garage :thumb:

This thread reminded me i needed to source a stainless catering bench...so poped on to ebay and picked one up local to me for £31! :thumb:
No more rotting wood for mold spores to grow! My wood one was going black in places :eek:

Next job is to tile the walls and floor of the garage so i canb steam clean it occasionaly. :?

Oh yeah, then i have to waterproof all me electrics :hmm:

Steve :cheers:

Back