The Weekend Leftovers Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wobjack

Reaction score
Hi all!

I had a huge urge to brew yesterday evening and had some time free in the evening to do so. I’ve had a load of grain left over so just decided to crack on and go for it.

This is a ridiculous recipe…..

I had the following leftovers, I used everything…

1kg Pale Malt
1.4kg Crystal Malt
200g Aromatic Malt
200g Special B Malt
150g Chocolate Malt

I planned a little less than a 3 gallon brew, and chucked them all into the pot to mash: 65 – 67 for 80 minutes.

I chucked in one hop addition for 60 mins: 28g of some Perle I had left In the freezer.

Last 10 minutes I found some Candi Sugar too! In it went :D

Yeasted with a starter I made from a lovely Dubbel I’d made a few months back. Wyeast 3787.

Will let you know how it turns out. It’ll probably be an overly malty, sweet, weird Belgian like tasting monstrosity…

Any feedback is welcome!
:lol:

Looks great, i think you found the ideal yeast for loads of crystal malt. You could have dried it out a little bit with sugar. How much candi siroup did you add?

Looks great, i think you found the ideal yeast for loads of crystal malt. You could have dried it out a little bit with sugar. How much candi siroup did you add?

Thanks man! I actually thought it looked a little sweet due to the amount of crystal malt due to what I'd read about it. I've only just starting brewing all grain (this is my 3rd batch) so i was mostly​ just having a play with some leftovers. The brew has been bubbling steadily over the past few days so all looks good, 3787 is a beast! :D

I used about 220g of Candi sugar so quite a bit in a 3 gallon brew. You think this will help dry it out enough?

Cheers for the feedback dude!

Looks interesting, what was the OG on that out of interest?

Unfortunately I didn't bother taking a reading as I was just messing about with some old ingredients. I guess I should have done really, I bothered to make it so I should have at least taken one! I know, my bad :)

Thanks man! I actually thought it looked a little sweet due to the amount of crystal malt due to what I'd read about it. I've only just starting brewing all grain (this is my 3rd batch) so i was mostly​ just having a play with some leftovers. The brew has been bubbling steadily over the past few days so all looks good, 3787 is a beast! :D

I used about 220g of Candi sugar so quite a bit in a 3 gallon brew. You think this will help dry it out enough?

Cheers for the feedback dude!

220g is a reasonable amount. i have added up to 20% candi sugar in my brews, but that is the upper limit. What kind if crystal malt did you use?

220g is a reasonable amount. i have added up to 20% candi sugar in my brews, but that is the upper limit. What kind if crystal malt did you use?

Just standard Crystal Malt as far as I can tell. EBC: 152.6 - Lovibond: 57.6 😊

Latest posts

Back