Tea Bag Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingchristo

Reaction score
Hello everyone for my next wine I would like to give a go with flavoured tea bags does anyone have a base recipe that I can follow sorry if this has been asked before

Hello everyone for my next wine I would like to give a go with flavoured tea bags does anyone have a base recipe that I can follow sorry if this has been asked before

a simple one from the CCCCCCCJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ berry book is

10 tea bags
1250gm sugar
1 tea spood citric acid
throw it all in a bucket with 2 litres of boiling water, leave to mash and cool
pour into a demi john and top up to the neck line

i start mine off at 1035sg and finish it at 1003sg

its a cheap quick clean medium sweet rose or white wine at 12% ish

and thats it, i dont add any thing else nor do i bother with any thing else,

if you stick to the recipe exactly they call for 8 tea bags but i buy the asda fruit teas i buy are in boxes of 20 bags so i use half

people do add grape juice but i dont bother as for me its a fast house wine

i started a few on the 9/12/15 which have all ready fermentated out and have started to clear, we normally turn it out in 5 weeks start to finish

at the moment we have
earl grey
leamon and ginger
apple and cherry
strawberry and forest fruits
cranberry and orange
peppermint and liquirice

yeah it wont do much without yeast,
and I agree, my rule of thumb is its one bag per mug of tea (approx 500ml) so you would need 10 to make 5000ml for a dj, OR keep your used tea bags (drink the tea a bonus) in a plastic tub and use two to three times the amount, and this has reminded me I was gonna do a lady grey one.

How do you get that alc percentage when sg was so low??

Apologies if I am resurrecting the dead but I agree - a starting gravity of 1.035 has a potential ABV of about 4.5% or about 1/3 of what the OP suggested. A "session wine" perhaps, and something that could be quaffed by the pint rather than sipped by the glass.

For a 5 gallon batch just times by 5 so 50 tea bags and 6.25-50 kegs of sugar roughly , I think either some raisins or yeast nutrient would do, and also add the sugar in increments !

Reading this I thought I'd get one going while I was doing nowt. Not many seem to do these tea wines anymore but I've done quite a few in the past and the Mrs likes em.
10 lemon/ginger teabags. Stewed 30 mins.
1ltr apple juice 100%
2 TSP frozen chopped ginger just because I had some.
890g sugar dissolved in pan with water.(making 1000g total sugars Inc aj)
1tsp nutrient, 0.5tsp pectolase.
I x 5g pack cml wine yeast(rehydrated 10 mins).
Didn't bother with citric this time as teabags have lemon.
IMG_20200804_122938_6.jpg
IMG_20200804_123254_3.jpg

15965434469072309777128694366343.jpg

Yeast to add when it cools a bit.
Sg 1100. Fg hopefully 990-1000.

Just started a similar wine tho' mine uses Manuka Honey and Camomile tea bags (Morrisons) and 1.3L of Apple and Elderflower juice, 800g Sugar, 1/4tsp Tannin, 1tsp nutrient, 1tsp turbo yeast, and 1tsp Citric acid. Hopefully, I'll get a nice dry white :)

interesting. manuka honey.. the tee tree that have antibacterial property ? does it works ? pls tell me if it works or not.
Just started a similar wine tho' mine uses Manuka Honey and Camomile tea bags (Morrisons) and 1.3L of Apple and Elderflower juice, 800g Sugar, 1/4tsp Tannin, 1tsp nutrient, 1tsp turbo yeast, and 1tsp Citric acid. Hopefully, I'll get a nice dry white :)

Latest posts

Back