Oxi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stuff you want it unscented and is usually marketed as for 'coloureds'. Anything stressing how great it is for whites contains 'optical brightener' chemicals that stick around and create an optical illusion of whiteness - not what you want in beer.

If you see something in the shop and are not sure, take a photo with your phone of the back label. If the ingredients aren't there then according to EU regs there must be a complete list available to view somewhere - i.e. online.

In the laundry products it's the "amongst other ingredients "bit that puts me off. With the sodium percarbonate you don't even have to rinse.

The other ingredient is sodium carbonate aka washing soda, needs rinsing of course but just happens to be in the laundry products because that's what 99% of people who buy it use it for. As long as it doesn't have fragrances or blue bits in its ideal for the job.

The one i get from poundland is pure sodiam percarbonate. Its great stuff for cleaning in general. Wizz oxy powder. �£1 for 625g.

The main ingredient in Wizz is sodium sulphate used to bulk it out, it's likely to be about 70% of the product, like the wilko one is about 70% sodium carbonate. No laundry aisle products are 100% sodium percarbonate, they'd be 5 times the price. The bulking agent acts as a water softener to help the percarbonate along.
Wizz is still great for cleaning hb equipment though

The main ingredient in Wizz is sodium sulphate used to bulk it out, it's likely to be about 70% of the product, like the wilko one is about 70% sodium carbonate. No laundry aisle products are 100% sodium percarbonate, they'd be 5 times the price. The bulking agent acts as a water softener to help the percarbonate along.
Wizz is still great for cleaning hb equipment though

Your spot on. Another thing i misread. Says contains not is. No wonder i said it was soapy. :doh: Oh well its still good stuff and i have not noticed any difference between using that and pure SB. Seem to remember i paid about a tenner for a kilo as well.

Latest posts

Back