Otter Amber

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone got a recipe for Otter Amber? Or even pointers in the right direction.
http://www.otterbrewery.com/beer/otter-amber/

Had a pint earlier and was reminded of just how good this beer is, not hop-forward just perfectly balanced. Just the type of beer I love, I'm not really a fan of heavily-hopped IPAs. Surprised that the brewery description mentions the use of US hops as I didn't detect any of the usual C-hops, but then the beer is well balanced. I often find this type of beer one of the hardest to replicate.

I'm thinking 90% MO and 10% Caramalt, bittering with Willamette with Styrian Goldings as a late hop addition (but not too many). Right ballpark?

Not a lot of info out there, so I've had a go at an Extract recipe (for convenience, if it's any good I'll do an AG version - I've felt demoralised in the past spending 5+ hours doing an AG experimental brew only for it to turn out fairly average).

One thing that did seem interesting was on the website "This beer delivers floral spice notes that are balanced on a malty base (Cara malting barley)" - surely they don't use 100% Caramalt as the base? I've read that you can usually push it to 25%. With that in mind, here's my approximation, going to brew this and see how it turns out.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 14.5
Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.13 %
Colour (SRM): 8.0 (EBC): 15.8
Bitterness (IBU): 24.9 (Average)

Grain Bill
----------------
1.500 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (85.71%)
0.250 kg Caraamber (14.29%)

Hop Bill
----------------
13.0 g Willamette Leaf (7.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
10.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
10.0 g Willamette Leaf (7.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

LHBS only had Amber Malt Extract so I used that. A bit darker than I was aiming for but still amber-ish. Couldn't wait so sampled a bottle after a week, I'm impressed, could probably do with a few more hops but it's not far off for an inexperienced guess at the recipe. Let's see how it tastes after a few weeks.

Otter Amber.jpg

Latest posts

Back