May have killed Wilko Cider with impatience!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootstrap

Reaction score
My third effort at brewing since starting again after a long break and I may have buggered it!

According to Wilko instructions:

4-6 days ferment, bottle with priming and +2 days in warm then +14 days in cool.

Well it went really well for about 12 days then stopped with no activity for two days. However, it was still very cloudy with lots of floaty bits and no where near ready to bottle, so in my wisdon and without really thinking carefully about it, I through in some Harris Cider Finings and left it.

Not long after it began to bubble again and did so for a couple of days, which I was not expecting. A week on and there's no change in clarity at all.

I'm a bit stuck really and think I may haved killed off the yeast with the finnings which contained sodium metabisulphite.

I took a small sample and covered with cling film in a glass with brown sugar, popped it in the airing cupbaord and no sign of activity/carbon dioxide production after 48Hrs.

It tastes very dry, with a PH of 3.8 or slightly less.

What should I do, bin it?

Last edited:
If it was bubbling away for 12 days it is most likely to have fermented out. As henteaser says the best way of finding out is to take an SG reading to confirm.
Then what does it taste like? If it tastes OK I would just bottle it, prime it and then leave it in the warm for a few days then store some or all of it somewhere cool for at least 14 days. Alternatively if you like still cider just miss out the priming and leaving in the warm stages. If you can get some of it in a fridge as part of the cool storage period that should encourage it to clear. If it all turns out good then you have not wasted anything. If it's rubbish then you just have to put it down to experience.

henteaser, yes I've two. One of each sex,.....I know this because they never agree.

Using the same hydrometer for both readings, SG 1.054 FG 1.002 (ABV 6.7% if my maths is right).

I did put in more sugar and less water as I do prefer a higher ABV cider (and beer tbh). Although I was expecting it to be lower in the region of 5.5%-6%, suprised it's that high.

Anyway, it's been stable for a week I guess so pretty sure it's finished.

terrym:

I thought I detected a slight vinegary flavour to it today, but upon further sampling I think it might be that it's just very dry.

I'd like to bottle it, but it's the floaters stopping me, not too worried about cloudiness to be fair.

I'll see if I can get it somewhere cooler for a few days and revist it then.

Thanks for both of your replies.

Last edited:
Back