Poochops GF Brew #5 Proper Leftovers Job.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poochops

Landlord.
Reaction score
Currently raising this to the boil, I had a load of bits and pieces leftover from previous brews including 3kg extra light DME from my partial extract days. So ordered some williamette and centennial from CML on Thursday and paid the princely extra sum of 25p to upgrade to 1st class so they arrived Friday

Title: Leftovers Proper job

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: English IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.045
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.94%
IBU (tinseth): 48.09
SRM (daniels): 9.27

FERMENTABLES:
1.465 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (32.8%)
0.5 kg - United Kingdom - Lager (11.2%)
0.5 kg - German - Pale Wheat (11.2%)
2 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (44.8%)

HOPS:
15 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.1, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 17.53
20 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 11.57
25 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.1, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 10.59
40 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 8.39
30 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.1, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 80 °C
40 g - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 80 °C
46 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 80 °C

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C, Time: 60 min
2) Infusion, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min
3) Sparge, Temp: 75 C, Time: 20 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5 g - Protofloc , Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
5 g - Yeast nutrient, Type: Other, Use: Other

YEAST:
CML - American Pale Ale Yeast

Couple of issues, I mashed-in in 10litres of liquor and set it away recirculating but it was pretty clear after 5 minutes that the grain was blocked, so I recovered the top plate (ouch!) and gave it a good stir to loosen it up, I'm guessing the wheat content at 20% of the grist caused this, I didn't give it enough time to absorb enough liquor before I recirculated but it got going again fine.

Second issue and I'm kicking myself, I forgot to treat the mash liquor to reduce my alkalinity from 196 to around 0-20 which is a bit of a pisser because this is a pale and hoppy brew and the resulting mash ph was 6.1 doh. I'm taking a little solace from the fact that I remembered for the 21litre sparge, and 2kg of extract added to the boil is well over 60% of the sugars so I'm hoping it'll recover the situation a bit.

90 minute boil to add some colour, time for a coffee and a sandwich now :)

22 litres in the fermenter, OG 1.066 grrr. Added 4 litres water to 1.056. Loads of break material in the wort, what's that all about? Lovely deep amber colour despite only pale malt.
Had to dig the hops out of the boiler with a spatula :lol:
IMG_1030.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Proper Job yes, supposed to be 100% MO but I used what was left, I wanted to get something on to bottle before I go on holiday in a fortnight and this appealed because it's good and hoppy but not dry hopped, so I should have some fresh hoppy goodness ready for when I get home.

Proper Job yes, supposed to be 100% MO but I used what was left, I wanted to get something on to bottle before I go on holiday in a fortnight and this appealed because it's good and hoppy but not dry hopped, so I should have some fresh hoppy goodness ready for when I get home.

I reckon that will work very nicely..."proper job":D

Racked into the bottling bucket after a week, bottled tonight 5 days later. Funny this one tasted bitter and hoppy when I racked it but tonight the hoppiness was very muted, we'll see what it's like after I come back off holiday in a fortnight. Fingers crossed a bit of fizz and chill will lift it.
FG 1.014
att. 74% - quite low really :/
Bottled with 140g table sugar in 49 bottles for 2.5 volumes.

Back from holiday last night so popped one in the fridge for a few hours to try with my dinner. This one hasn't come out as hoped at this stage TBH. The colour is fine, a nice light amber and it's cleared nicely in the bottle but needs a few weeks more to compact down properly, no problem there. Head retention is good, light in texture and bright white and lasted well to the end. Body is good but the mouthfeel is a bit slippery is the best way to describe it, bitterness is about right perhaps just a bit over, but that is probably because the hoppiness to counteract it has buggered off somewhere, there's background flavour certainly but nothing like what I'd expect, miles away in fact.
Any suggestions to what went wrong appreciated. I've got 4 dozen bottles of strong bitter light ale to get through in the meantime

Back