Curious brew help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destroido

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a 'champagne beer' along the style of "curious brew" (the other half had some and quite liked it)

I am thinking about just starting a normal lager, and when it's finished in the primary, scooping off the yeast pancake and adding the champagne yeast and then carrying on as normal. would this work? should I add more sugar with the champagne yeast?

James Morton has a Saison recipe in his book where he does something similar, I’ll have a look later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a look.
He ferments in primary 7-10 days until all action has subsided. Once yeast has flocculated he transfers to secondary and then adds the champagne yeast for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The commercial description of curious brew is...a uniquely satisfying, drier, cleaner, fresher, lager beer. We use East Anglian malt, Saaz and Cascade hops, then re-ferment using Champagne yeast before adding a "dosage" of the rare and fragrant Nelson Sauvin hop, before cold filtering this unpasturised beer into bottle.

Ooo if it's unpasteurised you may be able to harvest the yeast from the bottle? Hadn't noticed any sediment in the bottom of their bottles tho. Let me know how u get on as my wife likes this beer too.

There's an idea. Might try starting a yeast in a nearly finished bottle of curious brew. Although I will have to dispose of most of the contents first... Damn this cruel world lol

Back