Nhs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
So...I’m a man who’s BUPA but chose to go full NHS recently for a relatively serious procedure.

I think they were simply awesome and I’ve got so much admiration for what the staff did.

I hear and see people slag the NHS - so what’s the views ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overworked and severely underpaid and sh1t upon by successive governments, have a daughter who's a sister midwife and know how they work overtime for owed recompense which they never see

I was in an induced coma for 3 weeks so didn't see the Herculean efforts the NHS put in to save my life, but my family and friends are still, after 13 years, in awe. All in a day's work to them but they are heroes.

Staff brilliant, treatment brilliant - care not always great. I've had 2 relatives have extended stays in hospital in the last few years and they although they got very high level treatment, they didn't get particularly good care. Personally I'd blame staffing levels for this but there might be more to it. There is clearly a bit of a postcode lottery going on, some hospitals are better than others.
What the NHS does offer is very good value for what we spend - we spent 9.7% of GDP on healthcare in 2016. The USA's private system might be good, but at 17.2% of GDP it ought to be.

So...I’m a man who’s BUPA but chose to go full NHS recently ...
Got treated the other way around - was an NHS patient but they sent me to a BUPA hospital because they were trying to offload some of their waiting list. Got turned away by BUPA because they couldn't handle people like me (!!!).

Perhaps it's the three arms and two heads that phased them?

So the NHS had to get on with it.

Fortunitly I have not been in a hospital for many years but from what I have read and seen on the news it seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery.

I cannot be impartial my wife is a band 6 Nurse (sister) at rugby and my mum is a band 7 Nurse and Coventry University hospital.

I think sometimes it depends on what part or what you need doing which will depend on what you get.

I will say this they are understaffed though, When I met Cheryl she was a normal band 5 nurse where there were about 4 trained staff nurses per shift

They other week she started work at 1pm she is due to finish at 8pm, I had a call at 9 saying no night staff had turned up all sick and she would hopefully be home before I got up for work as it was she was home by 1am.

She obviously enjoys her job but I wouldn't want to do it, she has been physically and verbally abused kicked in the head by one patient faeces thrown at her over the years..... its a very tough job I think.

This is basically what I said in an earlier thread on here about the NHS, nothing's changed....
First I occasionally visit NHS places. I see lots of hard working and dedicated staff, state of the art equipment in many places, but I also see people in non jobs, and inefficiencies, which needs addressing. I have in the past used private medical facilities and I see they can do the same job with less staff, that's a fact as far as I am concerned, so why can't the NHS be the same?
The fundamental problem is that it is so big (�£115bn p.a, significantly more than a million staff) that an overhaul is daunting. So the easy solution is to leave it alone, or just tickle the edges, and just chuck more money at it. The real solution should be to get in and sort it out.
And the other problem is that it is a sacred cow. Anyone who is perceived as anti-NHS is vilified. So politicians pander to the popular conception that all you have to do to make it better is increase the budget, or put forward populist ideas like making car parking free which does little to address the core problems.

Do away with the inefficient much criticised NHS and we'll all use BUPA...

Trouble is (see my last post) where will we put sick people? BUPA are not geared up for sick/broken people, they can only treat healthy people. Perhaps the car parks can be used for hiding away unhealthy people? We wont be needing the car parks if we can't sell the cars anymore.

This is basically what I said in an earlier thread on here about the NHS, nothing's changed....
First I occasionally visit NHS places. I see lots of hard working and dedicated staff, state of the art equipment in many places, but I also see people in non jobs, and inefficiencies, which needs addressing. I have in the past used private medical facilities and I see they can do the same job with less staff, that's a fact as far as I am concerned, so why can't the NHS be the same?
The fundamental problem is that it is so big (�£115bn p.a, significantly more than a million staff) that an overhaul is daunting. So the easy solution is to leave it alone, or just tickle the edges, and just chuck more money at it. The real solution should be to get in and sort it out.
And the other problem is that it is a sacred cow. Anyone who is perceived as anti-NHS is vilified. So politicians pander to the popular conception that all you have to do to make it better is increase the budget, or put forward populist ideas like making car parking free which does little to address the core problems.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I've spent time in quite a few hospitals through work, and time with relatives as patients.
There are a lot of hardworking and dedicated people, but there are areas where there are at best mediocre staff and a lack care in areas in every facility. These are the areas that should be addressed instead of throwing money at the NHS in general.
It is time the general public woke up to the fact that there are a lot of malingerers working in the NHS that need sorting out, just as there are in any big business.
As fabulous as the institution is we need to remove the rose tinted glasses and sort out the rot. This happens in every other successful business anywhere in this world. As a country we need to be prepared to accept this or it will never happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was in hospital for about 4 nights and the nurses were run off their feet. Went back for an appointment later and waited 45 mins to be seen. 5 women were chatting about their lives in the doorway for the whole time. At the end one of them said "well I'd better go for my break now!"
Meanwhile a bloke was taking for ever to clean chairs. Unlocking a door repeatedly but only bringing out one sheet of tissue each time. They would have all had rockets up their arses if they'd treated me, as an employer, like that and expected paying.

Back