Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Bottle condition time?

Old 10-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #31
The Idiot

Liked 176 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I bottled a Dubbel in 2013; it's only just hit its peak and there are only three left!
Dutto Likes This 
Old 10-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #32
terrym

Liked 1326 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenj View Post
OK. I tasted after 14 days conditioning at room temp, and a bit disappointed. Good fizz on opening, decent head and bubbles, on par with cans/bottles I've bought. Bitterness is there, but lacks any hoppy flavour or aroma at all. Gonna have another taste on Sunday (21 days) to see if any difference. I've read about cold conditioning to improve: would moving to the cooler garage to store help at this stage? I might have to consider this anyway as 2nd brew on Friday and not a lot of space to store bottles.
As others on here have said some beers can be drunk young but some need a long time. I have had beers that can be drunk after two weeks and improve little for keeping, and others which need months before they come good. And if its beer that need a long time keeping in the cool may help to get it to come good, but time is the real solution.
And as far as hop flavour/aroma is concerned, imo that is mostly dependant on what happened to it before it was packaged, excepting the impact of a dry hop which gradually disappears with time.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #33
Saisonator

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I made a London Bitter ten months ago and because it was my first AG brew my efficiency and volume were far too low, this meant the beer was well over hopped.
I went to chuck the last eight bottles away last night, but I thought I would just give it another taster.
Looks like the Beer Fairy has visited, it's actually smoothed right out and is quite drinkable now.
People Like This 
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 PM   #34
destroido

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always try to give mine at least a month before I even try them. But nothing has taken longer or changed more than when I tried making Pineapple wine. It was like petrol for 10 months and then suddenly started to became quite pleasant. Best thing is a big wine rack and a bad memory, I love finding bottles I brewed months or years ago and had forgotten all about.
People Like This 
Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #35
foxy

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 18

As happened to Saisonator happened to me with a stout years ago, far to harsh to drink (tannins from the dark grains) and I did tip them but found a 1/2 dozen I had missed about 18 months later and the harshness had gone and it ended up a very nice stout. Its worth reading up on off flavours and which of those can be fixed by time.
People Like This 
Old 13-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #36
Nicks90

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jeez,
Either I have a drink problem, or you have a massive house! Alcohol does have any place to hide and it gets drunk in our gaff!!!
DJ2 - whiskey turbo cider
DJ3 - empty
DJ4 - empty

Conditioning
Strawberry cider 15l
Geordie Yorkshire bitter with amber DME and dry hopped 19l

Old 13-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #37
suffolk

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks90 View Post
To prove this, take your first mouthful of your next meal with your nose pinched closed. Tastes of nothing. Now take another bite...hmmmmm
You have obviously not tasted my wife's cooking
Nicks90 Likes This 
Old 15-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #38
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1637 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 3604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks90 View Post
Jeez,
Either I have a drink problem, or you have a massive house! Alcohol does have any place to hide and it gets drunk in our gaff!!!
You're obviously not brewing enough!

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking/Conditioning
AG Light Ale (21/02/17)
AG Mild Ale (02/03/17)
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (02/04/17)

Fermenting/Carbonating
SMASH with Maris Otter & Saaz
SMASH with Maris Otter & EKG
Pale Ale with EKG & Saaz
Vienna Lager with Hallertau

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date in bottle/keg
Stephenj Likes This