Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > Red Wine Concentrate Substitute

Old 13-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
110ben

Likes Given: 9

This sounds intriguing and my attempts at cheaper red kits were pretty uninspiring. I thought they were more like alcoholic ribena than a red wine. I have since done a £50 winexpert world wines shiraz which was lovely. Do you think adding oak chippings to your base recipe would enhance the wine and can i ask how much fruit you added. I am thinking blackberries....Great info though thanks

Old 13-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
LED_ZEP

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110ben View Post
This sounds intriguing and my attempts at cheaper red kits were pretty uninspiring. I thought they were more like alcoholic ribena than a red wine. I have since done a ��£50 winexpert world wines shiraz which was lovely. Do you think adding oak chippings to your base recipe would enhance the wine and can i ask how much fruit you added. I am thinking blackberries....Great info though thanks

I do add oak chips to the cheap kits and will to future batches of the powder but I wanted to know how it tasted before adding anything. I do a bit of woodwork and made a toy box for a friend from a quarter of an old wine barrel so I've quite a few barrel staves. When I need some I just plane off shavings and add at first ferment. I've also toasted some larger chips in the oven and added them to cheap vodka and it gives it an interesting "bourbon" like taste after a week or so.
The berries I added are Tesco frozen ones and I just put a 1kg bag in after it had sat in pectolase over night. Can't comment on the outcome as it's not in bottles as yet but it smells nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Toy Barrel 2.png  
People Like This 
Old 13-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #13
BeerCat

Liked 594 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Love the woodwork and welcome to the forum by the way. Once my DJ's are free will be giving this a go.

Conditioning Dry Irish Stout with CML US yeast

Drinking American Stout, Punk IPA, Kolsch x2, German Lager x2, Mild, Brown Porter, Mead, Melomel

Old 14-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
110ben

Likes Given: 9

Thanks Led Zep hope you give us an update when you try the latest brew.
Love the user name by the way rock on

Old 14-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #15
OldPeculier

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I am only speculating but I would think the advantage of this powdered stuff over red grape juice is that there is some grape skin present. That, after all, is what gives body and colour.

Drinking; Simply Pale Ale, various Beaverdale reds.
People Like This 
Old 15-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #16
LED_ZEP

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
Cheers Led very interesting. I would not mind trying using it in a Port amongst other things.
It has a smell of port when you first mix it with hot water..The thought did pass my mind too.

Old 15-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
LED_ZEP

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPeculier View Post
I am only speculating but I would think the advantage of this powdered stuff over red grape juice is that there is some grape skin present. That, after all, is what gives body and colour.
Think you're right. It's got a nice acid balance, plenty of tannin.

Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM   #18
simon12

Liked 211 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I wonder how its made, since I think the sugar content must be missing I wonder if its made from whats left after the juice is removed from the grapes.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #19
LED_ZEP

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon12 View Post
I wonder how its made, since I think the sugar content must be missing I wonder if its made from whats left after the juice is removed from the grapes.
Just checked my note and I added approx 4Kg of dextrose to 23l. I failed to record the s.g. with just the powder but there can't be much sugar if any if I'm adding so much to get to 1.082

Tags
concentrate, country, grape, red, wow